Chapter 18

PRAKRUTHI

'Whh...whattt?' his words practically made my head spin.

'I mean...be mine....mine as in...my friend!!!' he said and I let go off the breath I had held for I don't know how long.

'Ffffff..... friend??? As in your friend??? As in...I and you??? friend friend???' I asked blinking my eyes continuously and he smirked yet nodded and I was shocked.

I cleared my throat asking 'Ummm why??' and he narrowed his eyebrows asking 'Why??? We stay in the same house, work in the same office, you are also legally married to me so what is the problem???' and I gulped. We were still too close to each other.

'First.. first... please please sit there...we...we are too close...I need some oxygen to breathe!!!' and he raised an eyebrow asking

'Ohhhhhh you need some oxygen? When you were sticking to that man and probably going to feed him your maggi what were you breathing carbon dioxide???' he asked and I narrowed my eyebrows

'Mr Nayak!!! This is my life and my choice...I can talk to whomever I want and whenever I want...you are nobody to ask me! Remember even our marriage is a marriage of convenience and I don't want anyone to know about it.' saying I pushed him away and started walking away but suddenly I felt a strong grip on my wrist. I turned around and noticed he had held my hand so tightly that my iron bracelet had changed its shape.

'Why are you planning to hide this marriage? I have no issues announcing you are my wife. Infact it would be better for you to complete your project.' he said and I was annoyed

'That is exactly why I don't want anyone to know it Sir. I am a independent woman. Have never took anyone's help to achieve anything before and my father always supported this. The reason why although I wasn't as bright as Avanthi I worked hard to get a fabulous percentage in my twelveth so I could earn a better seat in AIEEE and get into one of best colleges in India and I did it.

All years of my engineering when my friends had partied, enjoyed, gone to movies I sat completing mine and many other dummy student's assignments and they paid me for it. I charged 200 Rupees per assignment. Haha...Looks silly to you right? But no...It wasn't silly to me. It was money. That money would help me buy books and stationary for myself.

My desktop which looks dummy to you is an assembled one. I know it's not expensive and portable like your laptop but I worked during my summer holidays developing websites for small scale businesses with which I bought that desktop because although that desktop cost me a total 48000 bucks which maybe too cheap for many big shots like you. It meant world to me.

It's not like my dad cannot afford it Sir. It's just that I don't want him to struggle at his business for another few extra hours while he already has spondylitis and struggles to sleep at night.

I am self sufficient and no I don't want anyone sponsoring me anything! I don't need anyone's money, recommendation or fame. So please let me fight my own battle!!!' I said firmly looking into his eyes and his grip loosened on my hand and strangely a small smile appeared on his lips. I was shocked.

I had seen him laughing, angry, grumpy but I hadn't seen him smile. He has a beautiful smile though I must say...but I was shocked to see him smile at my rant.

'I appreciate your efforts Miss Kamath and I appreciate hardwork and honesty even more. Fine I won't tell anyone we are husband and wife but only at one cost!!!' he said and I raised my eyebrow.

Is he blackmailing me???

'And what is that???' I asked while he simply grinned.