023|(Inner) Black Out

.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。* ∞*⍋⋆*❅。

"There was something terrible in me, sometimes at nightI could see it grinning at me

in me, sometimes at night
I could see it grinning at me."
-William Faulkner
.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。*∞*⍋⋆*❅。

Clad in an old summer dress, Scarlett Henderson blinked at the rising sun in silence. Dustin would return home the next day. She heard Claudia pull out of the driveway, she would be retrieving Dustin alone since Scarlett claimed to be feeling slightly under the weather. The young woman clasped the gold locket necklace around her neck, she traced the heart for a second before rising from her bed.

In the bathroom that Scarlett and Dustin shared, the cabinet beside the sink was filled with countless make-up and hair products that belonged to the two siblings. Scarlett usually wore no or hardly any make-up, but her corpse-like appearance that morning would surely be enough to alarm her friends. She applied a light base, masking the dark rings under her eyes, she applied a little bit of blush after to make her look lively. Satisfied, Scarlett walked out of the white-tiled room and down the stairs. She grasped her car keys and got into her car.

Scarlett drove until the sky had changed from orange to light blue. She parked her car by a tree and got out of the car. Small stones crunched and flew away under the force of Scarlett's footsteps. The brunette walked for five minutes through the forest, she came to a halt at the edge of a cliff that overlooked Lover's Lake. A few pebbles dropped down into the murky waters below.

The brunette leaned over the edge slightly, her gaze trained on the water below. A fall from that height would turn the water into concrete, and Scarlett would die nearly instantly a relatively peaceful death. Scarlett sat down on the edge, her legs dangling off of the cliff. She slid on her headphones and pressed play on her Walkman, The Sound of Silence filled her ears.

At that exact moment for some unknown reason, Eddie Munson found himself at the same place as Scarlett Henderson. He frowned as he saw the car whizz by and had decided to follow on foot, who knew what exciting information he would be able to find out? When he saw that it was only Scarlett who was in the car he got more confused and followed her through the forest, he kept his distance however.

"Heya Henderson!" Eddie called out, a jovial grin on his face. He raised a hand in a wave, the other hand shoved in a pocket of his worn-out jeans that he had taken off of his uncle's hands. Scarlett let out a scream, body contorting as she whipped around. The girl pulled her headphones off and looked at the boy behind her with an open mound. "Careful, wouldn't want you falling in," Eddie walked closer to Scarlett slowly. He stood by the edge and looked down. "Yeah, I'm not the best swimmer and I'd hate to watch you drown." He gazed back at Scarlett and showed off his white teeth happily.

Scarlett was lost, unsure of what to tell him. She paused her Walkman as a first step and then looked back up to Eddie. Sure the two had maybe had a few conversations here and there, but not enough for him to be talking to her, especially not in the woods. "Hi?"