Chapter 15

Off the three went travelling down the tracks until they say a train stopped and being checked.

"Get in the bushes over there," Jamie said taking the boys over to a small area covered in brush.

"When I whistle they are gonna look over there and we are gonna sneak on the train. Got it?" Jamie explained, pointing out her plan. The boys got ready to run. James picked up a stick and whistled as she threw it further down from where they were.

The two men checking the carriages looked over at the bushes and walked to see what it was.

"Go boys go," She whispered, and the boys got on the train. Just as she was about to the men spotted her.

"What do you think you're doing sweetheart?" One of them asked and walked closer to her, his hand on his belt.

"Why gentleman I need to get to Windrixville," she said in an innocent, young voice.

"This isn't a carriage train, sweetheart," one of them said in a thick voice.

"Oh, it isn't?" she asked and punched him in the nose, he was out cold,

"Now buddy, I suggest you tell the driver that the train is ready otherwise, I'll tie you to the tracks and run over you myself." James said dropping the accent, ready to hit someone else. The guy just shook his head,

"Fine, I'll do it for you," she said and punched his stomach, causing him to hunch over than she grabbed his face and slammed it into her knee.

"Train's ready to go," she said in her most masculine voice. With that the train started moving and red had to start sprinting to catch up. She heard a pop from her ankle and pain started to rise up her leg.

"Hurry up red, we can't lose you," Johnny said and reached his hand out for her.

"I'm gonna be at the back of the train, I'll get off at the same stop as you, don't stress it's all gonna be fine," she shouted and slowed down getting on the back of the freight.

"Oh, lord I hope the boys are okay," she mumbled and sat down on the back rail looking down at her ankle which was now swollen. She took out the bottle of whiskey and tried to numb the pain by downing some of it. Shockers, it worked. In about an hour and a half the sun had risen and they kids got off at Windrixville station.

"Now where are my boys," Jamie slurred and searched the platform with her eyes. She was still a little buzzed, but some water would fix that soon. She spotted the two looking around the place as well. They looked so lost.

"Hey kiddos over here," Jamie yelled, running towards the exit. The boys started running too, her noticing her terrible limp.

"What happened to your ankle?" Pony asked while looking at James' foot.

"I popped while I was running after that train, no biggie." She said with a smile.

"You're buzzed, aren't you?" Pony asked sarcastically.

"Not at all," Jamie joked and nodded yes.

Taking in her surroundings, she noticed that it was quite a ghost town. It was filled with nothing but trees and grass.

"Pony go ask those guys over there where Jay Mountain is, you look like a farm boy," Jamie said and rubbed some dirt on his cheek.

"I got you a stick," Johnny said holding out a branch that must have been on the ground.

"Thanks sweetie," she said and kissed his head. He deserved some love. Pony started walking back towards them with a big pout on his face.

"We need to go up the road and there should be a trail leading to the church," he said in a droopy tone.

"What are you frowning about Pony, there ain't nothing to be sad about, we will be out of here in no time." Jamie said positively. The three started walking to the church when Jamie stopped them.

"Johnny, give me the fifty, I'm gonna go get some supplies okay, anything you guys want?" She asked the boys when Pony shook his head and started walking off, Johnny whispered in my ear,

"Get Pony gone with the wind, he will love it," He spoke and nodded, chasing after Pony.

"What a great friendship," Jamie said to herself, wishing she had it. Red walked to the closest convenience store and looked for the book Johnny suggested. Altogether, 10 packs of smokes, a book, cards, chocolate, food and three bottles of soda, came to a total of $40 bucks so Jamie grabbed a small polaroid camera.

"How much is this?" She asked the clerk. Looking at it, it came with three packs of film.

"It's $15," he said, pointing to the sale price.

"Can you drop it $5 for these diamond earrings?" she bargained pointing to her ears,

"They are in perfect condition," she said taking them out and placing them on the counter.

"Yeah sure," the guy said with dollar signs in his eyes.

"Thanks sweetheart," she said with a smile on her face, placing everything on the counter taking out the cash from her pocket,

"You know what, you're giving me your earrings you don't have to pay," he said in a sweet voice.

"Why thank you so much sir, I really appreciate it," Jamie said and kissed his cheek as she chucked everything into a crate running out of the store.

"Sucker, he won't know what hit him." Jamie said with a mischievous smirk. As if they were real diamond. They were the most plastic earrings she had ever worn. She got to the church and found both boys asleep on the floor.

"Hey, you bums, what you doing on the floor." She said with a laugh in her voice. Both of the boys rubbing their eyes.

"We only have ten packs so only two packs a day, for everyone. Also, Pony and I are gonna bleach our hair, Johnny you are gonna cut yours." She said and gave each the boys a refreshing soda. Did I forget to mention that James stole two bottles of bleach.

"What no way, my hair is fine the way it is." Pony argued.

"Ponyboy don't disagree with me on this, otherwise you are gonna have no hair at all." she said sternly, and he shut his trap as quick as lightning.

"Oh, gee thanks Red, you got gone with the wind," Pony said with an excited voice.

"I wasn't me It was Johnny's idea, thank him," she said pointing to Johnny who was blushing. That's when Jamie realized. Johnny was gay.

"Thanks Johnnycakes," Pony said in a soft voice, looking at his feet. Ponyboy was blushing too. It's a match made in heaven. 

Word count: 1117