Chapter 17

During the night, the three woke up to an animal making noise outside of the church.

"Johnny, there's a monster outside," Pony said, not knowing Jamie had also woken up to the noise.

"It's okay, I'm here, it will go away soon." Johnny replied and scooted closer to Pony, wrapping his arm around him.

"What the cutest couple," Jamie thought in her head. After a minute or so Jamie fell back asleep.

The next morning everybody woke up late, from lack of sleep over the past two days. Jamie woke up later than the boys noticing that Pony was reading Gone with the Wind to Johnny.

"Morning boys," she spoke in a rough voice, scratching her newly dyed hair.

"Morning," they both replied and pony put the book down.

"James, can I talk to you? Johnny, I'll be right back," He spoke and chased red out the door.

"What is it, Pone?" the girl asked and washed her face with the freezing cold water.

"I want... I like... Jamie, I'm bi," Pony blurted out.

"That's great, hon," she spoke and hugged him close. Lighting a cigarette after.

"And I wanted to know if Johnny had said anything about me to you," He mumbled.

"Why should I tell you Pone, go ask him yourself." She said with a smirk.

"So, he did," He asked, his face brightening.

"When you talk to him, don't say I told you anything, cos I didn't" she said with a smile and started to walk back inside.

"Talk to him, I'm gonna be out here, I'll give you half an hour." She whispered and with that Pony dashed inside with a smile on his face.

About half an hour had passed and Jamie was getting bored sitting next to the house waiting for them to finish talking so, being the chaotic teen she is, she went down the hill to what seemed like a little park. It had a small swing set and a slide.

"Who are you?" A small voice asked from behind her.

"I'm James. Who are you," Jamie asked and turned around to see a small girl in a pink frilly dress and two plaited pig tails. She looked like she had been crying and she had bruises on her arms and legs.

"I'm Mary-Ann." The young girl answered. She had a croaky voice, almost like she had been screaming. Jamie knew exactly what happened.

"Sweetheart did your dad do this to you," Jamie asked and sat in front of the girl.

The girl nodded yes, and a small tear escaped her eye.

"I know how you feel darling. Do you wanna stay with me for a little bit. I'm living in the church on the hill. I have two friends there and they would really like you," Jamie offered and held the girls' hands, consoling her.

"My mommy told me not to follow strangers," The girl said and pulled her hands back.

"Where's your mom?" Jamie asked knowing that her mom had already left.

"She left me with daddy," Mary-Ann answered.

"How about you have lunch with me and then if you still wanna go home you can," Jamie suggested.

"Okay, that sounds good." She answered. Mary must have been at least 5 or 6. She was too young to have this happen to her.

"Do you want me to carry you sweetie?" Red asked and stood up.

"That would be nice." The girl was so polite. Raised right in a broken home.

"Alright sweetie." Jamie said and picked her up.

"You look like a boy," Mary-Ann said with a smile on her face.

"Is that right. Do I act like a boy too?" Jamie said with a laugh.

"Well, you call me sweetie..." Mary answered. Jamie just laughed, her dimples on display.

"You're a bit cute," Jamie said and poked her nose.

"Now the two people you are about to meet are both boys but trust me they are really nice, and they aren't gonna touch you. I promise," Jamie said and held her pinkie out waiting for Mary to shake it.

"How do you know?" she asked.

"Because they like each other, as in they are boyfriends," Jamie said and laughed along with Mary-ann.

"My daddy said that boys shouldn't like other boys." The little girl said with a confused face.

"Well, your daddy's wrong. It's like having a forever best friend but you kiss all the time," Jamie said playfully.

"James, are you gonna be my new mommy?" Mary asked out of nowhere.

"I can try to be but that means you would have to leave here," Jamie said and put the girl down and they walked to the back of the church.

"Okay," Mary-Ann said and pushed the back door open.

"Boys I'm coming in and I have a new friend," James yelled so that they were prepared.

"Okay Jamie," Johnny said, and I could hear the two boys shuffling around inside. That's a bit suspicious.

"Ready to meet the boys?" Red whispered to Mary-Ann, and she nodded her head, trying not to giggle. The two girls walked into the church and the boys sat there shocked.

"Who's this?" Ponyboy asked and walked over to Mary.

"This is Mary-Ann, and she is going to have lunch with us." Jamie answered.

"Where did you meet here?" Pony asked and sat down in front of the girl so that he could shake her hand.

"There is a park close by. She was having some problems so I said she could have lunch with us if she wanted." Jamie said and led the young girl over to the small benches.

"Hey, I'm Johnny and this is Ponyboy, my friend," Johnny said. Jamie walked over to where the supplies where and started making sandwiches for everyone.

"Don't lie, I know he's your boyfriend," Mary-Ann said teasingly.

Jamie burst out laughing and quickly covered her mouth still giggling.

"Well, that got out quickly," Ponyboy muttered and scratched his head.

"Who wants a baloney sandwich," Jamie called and brought out 4 sandwiches.

"Me please," Mary-Ann said and shot her hand up.

The four ate their sandwiches and Mary-Ann got to know the group well, just as well as the group got to know Mary-Ann. The three thought that it was fair to tell Mary-Ann what happened, and she was completely fine with it. The four got on really well and the older three had fallen in love with Mary-Ann.

Word count: 1054