Chapter 18

Jamie's POV:

"James, can I stay with you, I don't want to go home," Mary-Ann asked while tugging on my sleeve.

"Of course," I answered. I wish that I could just take her back home and help her get out of the terrible house she was living in.

"Thanks mom," Mary said and skipped off, joining the boys who were playing cards and trying to teach her how to play. She called me mom; I feel so special.

I sat back and watched as the boys played around with Mary. They were so gentle and made her laugh. When I get out of this mess, I'm going to buy a house and my two boys are gonna live there with me. In a perfect world I would adopt Mary-Ann and have a boyfriend to hug me when I go to sleep. Although I had just met Mary-Ann I was so attached to her, she reminded me of my sister, Luna. Maybe it was Luna reincarnated. Poor girl has had to live in two bad homes now. Mary even had the same three moles on the back of her neck that looked like Mickey Mouse. My little girl had come back to me.

"Hey Pony, why don't you read the book to us. I'm getting tired and it looks like Annie is too," I said with a small smile and saw Mary rub her eyes in exhaustion. The time had just hit 9:00 and I was feeling a bit tired.

"Okay everyone get comfy," Pony said and picked up his book. He sat down against the wall and Johnny rested his head on his legs. I lied down on one of the benches and Mary came and laid on top of me.

"Are you comfy, sweetie?" I asked her. She nodded her head and closed her eyes.

Ponyboy read to us until he started to fall asleep. I stayed awake for a little while making sure that no one was going to show up. Before I knew it the sun had started to rise, and I had finally started to fall asleep.

"Hey Johnny, rise and shine man," That's what I woke up to, the last voice I wanted to hear.

"What happened here?" Dally said as he walked over to the bench I was lying on.

"Nothing you need to worry about." I answered. I wasn't that bothered to talk to him.

"Who's the little one?" He questioned as he noticed Mary-Ann who was still lying on my chest.

"This is Mary-Ann she's coming home with us," I answered and started to wake her.

"Sweetheart, we are gonna get some food. Maybe even head back to where I'm living, are you sure you wanna come?" I spoke to her as she sat up and jumped off me.

"Of course, I wanna come, I don't want to see daddy again," she said and stretched.

"Well, aren't you a cute thing," Dally said and looked at her.

She immediately backed up into James.

"It's okay sweetheart, this is Dallas Winston, I've known him since I was a little girl, about your age," I smiled sweetly.

"Is he your boyfriend?" She asked innocently.

"Absolutely not," Jamie laughed, and Mary chuckled as well.

"You guys hungry? You wanna get something to eat? I'm starving man," Dally said shutting the boys up.

"You're starving, try bologna for four days," Johnny answered back.

"Anyone got a cancer stick?" Dallas asked.

"Yeah, I got one," I replied and handed it to him. Taking one out for myself.

"Go sit with Pony sweetheart, I don't want you breathing this stuff in," I whispered to Annie, and she shuffled over to Ponyboy.

"Got a special delivery for Ponyboy Curtis," Dallas said and handed him a note. I zoned out at this point and walked outside to wash my face. I hope Dally takes us to get food. I drank some water and walked back inside to see Ponyboy putting on his jacket.

"What about Texas?" I asked as I walked in.

"The cops think you guys are headed for Texas," Annie said.

"Wow, I can't believe they actually listened to you Dal," I smirked and put my jacket on myself.

"Look at your guy's hair man, I can't believe you actually changed the colour," Dallas said inspecting my hair.

"It still looks better than yours so I'm not complaining." I smart mouthed back.

"Blondie man," Dally said looking back at Pony.

"I know I look lousy but don't rub it in," Pony answered back and started walking away.

"You don't look lousy. Now let's get some food" Johnny said and let us out the church. Mary grabbed onto my hand, and we started walking together.

"Dallas Winston, slow this car down or I will kick you out and drive it myself." Jamie instructed but he didn't listen and pulled into the dairy queen driveway.

"What do you guys want?" He asked and ordered five barbeque sandwiches five cokes and an extra-large chips for everyone to share.

"That kid you killed had plenty of friends, it's all over town Soc against Grease. It's becoming more and more dangerous, so I started carrying a heater man," Dally said and pulled a gun out of the center console I hit him on the back of the head as I saw two kids walking over to us. I hid mine and Annie's faces.

"Hey Mister, you have 15c?" She asked,

"No, I don't have any money man,"

"You sure?" she asked.

"He said no now go ask your parents for it," I spoke through my teeth, and they walked away.

Dally started talking about how we have a spy and how there is gonna be a big rumble.

"What are they talking about?" Mary asked me.

"Nothing much, just the fact that there is gonna be a big fight called a rumble." I answered.

"Are you going to do it?" She asked.

"Probably, I have to help my friends," I answered.

"You promise you won't get hurt?" She asked,

"I might get a bloody nose, but I won't get hurt," I said and interlocked my pinkie with hers.

"Okay." She said and

"I offered to take her to the dingo, and she told me to go to hell," Dally said with a smirk.

"She must be desperately in love with you then," I laughed. The boys continued to talk about how they were going to turn themselves in. After that we went back to the church to get our things.

Word count: 1075