43. sémillon

"How drunk are we allowed to get?" The group was clambering like a bunch of teenagers.

is that not what they are-

I MEAN YEAH BUT

IT'S HEIGHTENED IN THIS SETTING

"It's not my money," I shrugged, "whatever you want to do."

"If you get drunk too fast we're going to get thrown out before the food comes," Historia cut into the conversation, a murmur of agreement rippling through the crowd.

TRUEE

drink your fill after dessert

we will be the worst customers possible

"They're never going to shut up about this," Ymir leaned down, murmuring into my ear. "Thank you."

"It's really nothing, this is the least I can do for all you've done for me."

really i don't think i can ever repay you

but this is a start

hopefully there's more to come

"Just who is your father anyway?" Eren asked, between mouthfuls of bread.

.

"Do you really not know?" I stared at him incredulously, "you broke me out- did it not come up?"

BESIDES THAT-

YOU'RE SAILORS

MORE IMPORTANTLY- FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND YOU GUYS ARE INVOLVED WITH TRADE TO SOME CAPACITY

"Eren, she's a Zacharius," Mikasa muttered, her eyes full of concern as she watched him shovel obscene amounts of appetizers into his mouth. "They're a merchant family."

thank u for the explanation <3

"He doesn't know because he doesn't pay attention, the rest of us are aware," Hitch rolled her eyes at him. "Your family is a big deal."

unfortunately

"Mostly my brother and my father," I smiled, picking at the edge of the table. "They do all of the work, I'm really just along for the ride."

i mean

maybe i could do more

i know that other aristocratic daughters go to garden tea parties and dances

i have in the past

it's just a lot- i don't enjoy it

"That's not true," Ymir frowned, reaching for my hand under the table.

well-

"I mean it kinda is- when you think about the Zacharius family you don't think about me, that's just the truth." I paused, "I'm not upset about it, it's just how the world works."

mike and i have never been totally accepted because we're adopted

and well- money can buy you a lot of things but

it won't get rid of your background completely

"Bullshit," Hitch grumbled loudly. "I knew about you."

PROBABLY NOT ANYTHING GOOD

"Me too," Mikasa spoke up, "and your friends."

we are kinda the best

"You did?"

"Plenty of people talked about your little gang down on the docks," Ymir beamed at me. "You four used to run around and count ships right? You've got a bit of a fan club, they gather on the docks and freak out about the new dress you're wearing or what restaurants you've been frequenting."

HELP THAT'S EMBARRASSING

"In the words of the captain it's 'fucking annoying' and they should 'stop idolizing some entitled rich asshole they don't know,'" Jean who was clearly a little too tipsy for his own good announced loudly to the table.

THAT'S EVEN WORSE

"I didn't-" Ymir looked flustered, downing her glass of wine in one gulp and reaching for another.

HELP

"We went down to the docks to escape our tutors-" I murmured, attempting to hide my embarrassment with a hand. "Is that the reason why you were so awful when we first met?"

"No I- awful?"

"Yes???"

YOU WERE SO MEAN I WAS SO UPSET

I MEAN

IT WAS FAIR OF YOU TO BE MEAN BUT I WAS DESPERATE

"I wasn't that bad-" Ymir muttered, mulling over it.

YOU WERE

"Levi and Erwin started encouraging me after witnessing the way you shut me down." I paused, taking a sip of my drink, "do you know how bad it has to be for both of them to provide emotional support? I mean Levi was pessimistic and irritating about my plan from the very beginning, for him to feel like he has to cheer me up-"

IT WAS BAD- EVERYONE WAS WATCHING TOO

"In my defense- the daughter of a man I fucking hate comes up to my ship and asks to strike a deal- what was I supposed to think?" Ymir avoided eye contact, "I'm sorry about crushing your dreams, at least we both came around?"

AT LEAST

"I really idolized you," I sighed wistfully, "anyway, my father is using me to strengthen his relationships with his business partner but he does to some extent care about my quality of life."

what i mean to say is that you don't exactly fit that image

"I'm wounded," Ymir gasped overdramatically, "well at least you still think highly of me."

ah .

"Don't be so silent-"

"Sorry I just-"

"This is embarrassing for you Captain," Jean chuckled, Eren muttering his agreement.

IM SORRY

"It's not that I don't like you but-"

HOW DO I PUT THIS

"It's just that- I really idolized you and looked up to you," I continued. "I built you up in my head as a totally different person than you actually are."

so i can't think of you like that anymore

that perception has been totally broken

for better or for worse

for better

i agree

"Can we get another round? I need to drink away my sorrows," Ymir grumbled, pouting a little.

"I like the Ymir I know now a lot better."

"Just let her sulk," Armin spoke up, "it goes away faster like this."

"HEY!" She protested loudly.

"It's true," Historia replied, "why fight it?"

this feels so warm

_____________________________

publishing super early bc im going camping- i hope yall r doing well <3

- ami