✗ one ✗

⚊ chapter one

I somehow managed to invest all my energy into pestering the only person I could talk to before the second week of school.

Who is SD? One week after receiving mysterious emails from him, he still hadn't given me an answer. He could answer all my questions about what to expect in classes, but his identity remained a mystery.

The problem is, I'm as lonely as a ghost right now, and I like to know things. I like unraveling mysteries like him.

Clearly, the only option is to Sherlock my way out of this secretive boy.

Let's start at day one, that awful first day of school. It sucked for me, but to be fair, probably no more than every day since I was forced to come here against my own will.

Because the truth is, at the end of the day, you have no say in your parents' choices.

Overall, my life sucked inside and out.

But I figured that on that fateful first day, a certain stranger must've noticed my "help me" vibes as the quiet transfer student.

So, at some point in any of my classes, he could have been there, sitting close to me or watching from the very back, actually taking notice of me.

But remembering what must've occurred that day is not so simple because that day is chock-full of embarrassing and awkward moments that I never want to recall.

First of all, I was late, which was all Mingming's fault. Mingming is my cat, the mother of seven kittens, who, even though she's old as heck, has approached this whole new living place by deciding to be a menace, always having me chase after her around our house.

Or worse, out in the street.

And much worse, running into the house across from ours.

And much, much worse, thinking of leaving the responsibility of being a mother to her babies to me.

For some reason, my parents allowed me to have a car, knowing that it would take a long time before I asked anyone for help on how to ride the bus or train here. But I think it was also a way of apologizing to me.

Except, of course, they would not be fully there for me as they would be busy with their jobs, leaving me to fend for myself as always.

That's the story of Jillian Klein Cruz - the girl who's been left alone for most of her life.

As I finally pulled into Belift Academy's parking lot, it felt like I had just navigated through a maze of student drivers who were all seemingly in a race to find the perfect spot. After circling a few times, I managed to snag a space next to a car that had seen better days.

As I opened my car door and stepped out, I was greeted by the sight of a girl nearby, vigorously venting her frustrations at someone on her phone. It was a sight to behold – her animated gestures and colorful language painted a vivid picture of her annoyance.

"Seriously, Nishimura Riki, if you don't get your act together, I'm going to feed your socks to the neighbor's cat!" she exclaimed, her voice carrying a mix of exasperation and genuine threat.

Before I could even process what was happening, another girl with bangs and two boys swooped in like a whirlwind and whisked her away, leaving me standing there dumbfounded.

Just as they were about to disappear from sight, one of the girl's friends turned back to me with an apologetic shrug.

"Sorry about that. She's a bit... intense sometimes. We're working on it," she admitted sheepishly. "Honestly, we've been thinking about taking her to the nearest mental hospital, but then who would feed Ni-ki's socks to the cat, right?"