✗ sixteen ✗

⚊ chapter sixteen

I regretted the decisions I made when I was in my extroverted mood. Following Shaira's advice to get a job near my school seemed like a terrible idea now.

According to her, it would be easier to get acquainted in this part of Seoul. However, when I consulted the Minji squad, their suggestions ranged from Sunhee's favorite minion merchandise shop to Chenle's dolphin toy store. Rei and Dongpyo even suggested their favorite dating spot near the touristy bridge, which I couldn't even consider.

Then came the suggestion that nearly made me cringe: the gym that Ni-ki and his friends liked, supposedly only three blocks away from their houses. The thought of being surrounded by people made me shudder.

Desperate for a change, I decided to try the pet shop where Sunoo said they were looking for a new assistant.

"Sorry, we only hire people who have worked in a veterinary clinic before," said the pretty girl behind the cashier. She looked around my age, maybe older, with a fairy-like aura about her.

"This is a serious job. If you're up for being a pet sitter, then I could give you my landline," she offered, smiling strangely.

"Wait, what?" I asked, confused by her sudden change in demeanor.

"Sorry, I think I just saw my quiet admirer again at the door," she explained, nodding towards a pale guy still lingering outside.

He was holding a white poodle in his muscular arms, his sleeveless shirt showing off his defined arms. Despite his rugged appearance, he seemed hesitant to enter, almost as if he'd seen a ghost.

Curious, I asked the cashier, "Who is he?"

"Just one of our loyal customers, one who only comes in when I'm not here," she replied, frowning at his reluctance.

"In other words, he might be shy around you?" I suggested.

She rolled her eyes. "I like guys who can talk to me without being intimidated. It's not like I ever acted scary towards him. So much for having that pretty face of his."

"Cool," I said, wondering if it would be polite to suggest they looked good together. "So what's his name? Are you interested in him?"

"Huh?" She seemed taken aback by the question.

"I mean, do you know him?" I clarified, feeling awkward.

"We don't disclose the names of our customers to anyone. Sorry, Ma'am," she replied, flashing her nameplate. "I'm Koo Jangmi. Can I help you with anything else?"

Jangmi's unforgettable pretty face made me consider bringing Mingming here for a visit.

"I have a mother cat and seven kittens. Maybe I could bring them here soon," I said.

"I'm looking forward to it," she replied with a smile.

Feeling a pang of pity for the pale boy and his white poodle, I gestured for him to come inside as I left.

As I watched him approach Jangmi, I realized something. Could this pale boy be the same cousin Minji was always talking about? Minji had mentioned a cousin who was shy and had a habit of avoiding social interactions. This boy fit the description perfectly.

His grateful stare said it all as he finally approached Jangmi. I decided to linger a moment longer, pretending to look at my phone, so I could observe the two of them. The boy hesitated at first but eventually made his way to the counter, where Jangmi greeted him with a bright smile.

Satisfied that he might finally have the courage to talk to her, I left the store, hoping he wouldn't stutter his words out to the pretty girl in the vet.