✗ five ✗

⚊ chapter five

In the next morning, I found myself in AP class, sinking into my seat like a potato into mashed potatoes. The teacher launched into another tirade about acing exams for college, while I contemplated my existential crisis.

Glancing around, I wondered if anyone else shared my sentiment or if it was just me, the lone introvert lost in a sea of enthusiasm.

Besides, who knew two years from now if we need to be ready in advance for the university level of an entrance exam? At that point, I was certain that the teacher sent a pointed but pitying look my way, one that I understand.

If you have a student who mostly got pulled out halfway through her school year by her parents to move out and fly to another country, you would be worried as well about the state of her mind about the educational terms.

Also, she should think about my mental and societal issues as well.

"Songs of the Kisaeng, a courtesan poetry. Anyone here read it?", asks the teacher in front of the class.

Nobody raises their hand, myself included, though I did read it a couple of months ago, in what now feels like a different lifetime. Shaira gifted it to me before I leave for this country and whenever I'm bored, I still pick it up to learn something from the last dynasty.

I never asked her why that book. Why didn't I ask her? Maybe next time.

"Come on, it was during Joseon Dynasty which was heavily influenced by a Confucian era. I mean you can't just be heavily influenced by what? Some dumb influencers?", Ms. Go gets a laugh from some of us.

She's young, maybe late twenties and she's better dressed than most teachers here. I like her.

On the first day, she introduced me to the class but didn't make me stand up and say something about myself or where I came from, just like some of the teachers had done.

Very considerate of Ms. Go to save me from that kind of indignity.

"So I know it was a hard one to understand. Very outdated for your taste, but I think you're all ready for it. It will be our main topic for two weeks"

She gets a few half-hearted yeses. I don't say anything. No need to be a part of this class yet.

"Nah uh. You can do better than that. Are you up for it, class?"

Now she gets on full cheers which impresses me. In a way, she was hyping us up and yes, waking up as well from our sleepy state since she's the first class today.

"Okay here's what we're going to do. We'll do a group project for two and over the next two weeks or more, in a a weekly basis, you are going to tackle this poetry book together"

Oh no, please. Not today! You know what's worse than being the new kid? Being the new kid who have to find a partner in a class, still full of strangers for her.

My eyes bounced around the room. Ni-ki and Minji are in the back, already giving off the vibe for anyone to avoid them while Chenle and Dongpyo were fighting for Rei's choice, which brings me to the two blonde girls behind them.

It turns out their names are Soodam and Hera, which just sounds like a name I would want to avoid interacting with.

Kiara was sit next to me but before I could think of a way to ask her to be my groupmate, Sunoo is already waving at her for the front seat.