✗ twenty three ✗

chapter twenty three

I woke up around 5 a.m., the house still wrapped in silence, everyone else asleep. My thoughts wandered as I lay there, wide awake. I started thinking about flirting—had I ever really done it before?

Back in the Philippines, there were a couple of instances. Like that one guest at the hotel in Boracay who always seemed happy to see me, or the barista in Macau who remembered my order every time. But those were just small, insignificant moments, nothing that made my heart race or my stomach flutter.

With SD, though, things feel different.

There’s something about our conversations that’s bringing out a side of me I didn’t know was there. I’m more confident, maybe a little bolder. It’s not just the texting; it’s how I’m starting to feel about myself in these interactions.

I can’t help but wonder if it’s because of the people I’m surrounded by now—like Minji, who never hesitates to speak her mind, or Jungwon, who has this quiet, steady confidence.

Maybe it’s rubbing off on me, making me curious about this new side of myself that’s emerging.

And as strange as it feels, I can’t help but wonder where this newfound confidence might take me.

Groggily, I remembered the rushed packing from the day before—grabbing my hygiene bag and a few essentials after Minji had texted me in a flurry, telling me they were dragging me to this impromptu pajama party.

I hadn’t had much time to think, just shove things into a bag and head over.

Now, I was thankful I’d managed to at least pack the basics.

Slipping quietly out of the sleeping bag, I grabbed my hygiene bag and made my way to the bathroom, trying not to disturb the tangle of bodies scattered across the living room floor. Once inside, I washed my face and brushed my teeth, the cold water doing wonders to wake me up.

The quiet of the early morning made the entire house feel calm, a sharp contrast to the noise and chaos from last night.

After freshening up, I tiptoed back to the living room, taking a moment to observe everyone where they slept.

Jay was against the wall, curled protectively around Eunjoo, as if shielding her from the rest of the room. It was sweet, seeing how naturally he seemed to take care of her, even in sleep.

Heeseung was on the opposite side, practically hugging Sunhee like a teddy bear, his arms wrapped tightly around her. Kiara was doing much the same with Sunoo, the two of them looking content and peaceful, even though Sunoo was practically buried under Kiara’s grip.

Minji was asleep in a more typical position, though Ni-ki had somehow managed to hog most of their blanket, leaving Minji barely covered. I could only imagine her reaction when she woke up and realized how little of the blanket she had left.

Jake and Sunghoon, however, slept as if they didn’t have a care in the world, their faces relaxed and serene. They seemed to fit so perfectly together, their calm demeanor a stark contrast to the others’ more chaotic sleeping positions.

Then there was Dongpyo, whose arm was draped over Chenle’s face, almost as if he was trying to suffocate him. I had to stifle a giggle, wondering how Chenle could possibly breathe like that, and made a mental note to check on him later if he didn’t wake up on his own.

Rei, being Rei, had her face mask on, completely covered by her blanket except for a small portion of her face. It was an odd sight, almost like she was mummified, but it was somehow endearing. Cassy, who had briefly woken up, glanced around sleepily before deciding to drift back into sleep.