✗ nine ✗

⚊ chapter nine

There is such a silly notion from my last school before. I didn't believe it, of course. But they said, if you bring a boy in your house alone and without friends, it means you're serious about him.

I mean, in a gusto-ko-maging-kami serious notion.

[ i-want-us-to-be-together ]

And here I am with Yang Jungwon, of all the boys I could bring in front of my parents.

Not that it was intentional. It was purely accidental, okay?

Add to the fact was that, he isn't my crush. I just met him one week ago. I am not the type of girl who'd have a crush on someone in a short time to her classmate. I couldn't deny though, he's a crush material.

For the other girls. Many girls. And we can't blame them for that.

Like every normal people my age, I have my own ideal crush. One that I wouldn't mention yet.

It's a secret.

Right now, I have to focus on following my Papa's order about our guest.

"Tea or coffee?" I ask Jungwon, flashing him a smile as he sits beside me, his eyes bright with curiosity as he pets one of our kittens.

He shrugs, his gaze still fixated on the adorable furball. "I'm okay with anything."

I chuckle at his distracted demeanor, feeling a sudden pang of guilt as I watch Mingming paw him across the cheek, leaving a faint trail of fur behind. Without thinking, I reach out to wipe it away, only to retract my hand awkwardly when I realize what I'm doing.

Turning towards the kitchen, I make a beeline for the cupboards, mentally cursing myself for the sudden awkwardness.

As I rummage through the mugs, I can feel my cheeks flushing with embarrassment, wondering if Jungwon noticed my clumsy attempt at assistance.

Just then, the sound of footsteps interrupts my internal monologue, and I turn to see my Mama entering the kitchen, her eyes widening in surprise as she spots Jungwon.

"Take these," Mama says, handing Jungwon a stack of towels, her tone brisk yet oddly friendly. "The bathroom is right across the closet. We have warm water and everything. Wash up and change in there."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Jungwon replies, his voice polite but tinged with confusion as he accepts the towels.

I can't help but stifle a giggle at the sight of Jungwon's bewildered expression, feeling a sense of relief that Mama's sudden appearance has momentarily shifted the focus away from my awkwardness.

As Jungwon  turns to leave for the bathroom, I shoot my mother a grateful smile, silently thanking her for rescuing me from the awkward silence. Yet, even as I exhale a sigh of relief, I can't shake the feeling of impending doom lingering in the air.

"What's going on?" Papa's voice breaks through the tense atmosphere, his brow furrowed in confusion as he enters the kitchen, his gaze darting between Mama and me.

"We could've prepared the house. It was still a mess here," Mama interjects, her tone laced with frustration as she shoots me a pointed look, as if blaming me for the sudden chaos that has descended upon our home.

I shake my head, my cheeks burning with embarrassment as I struggle to find the right words to explain the unexpected turn of events.

"Jungwon's in my class. But I don't know much about him," I finally manage to stammer out, hoping to defuse the tension with a simple explanation.