Chapter 20: Infiltration

Beta read by Shigiya, Fluffy Slayer and DOOMRAIDER.

Note: I won't be updating An Archer's Promise next week as I'll be focusing on my other works.

.

.

.

Ansur-

The highly militarized kingdom of Ansur had been getting busy these last few weeks with regular skirmishes of demons encroaching their borders.

Having the highest number of Knights, second only to Thorne, and having a highly respected and powerful Princess Knight serving the front lines from time to time and serving as the Goddess Reborn's right hand-the general morale ranked quite high among most of the army.

It didn't have a large number of mercenaries and guilds like Ken, nor did it have a large market for trades like Feoh and Ur. It had a bit of everything like that of Throne, which focused more on the religious aspect.

All of these affairs and accounts were managed by the noble family Levantine. Unlike the other kingdoms, where many nobles would hold a certain sector to themselves and could not under any circumstances hold a monopoly on everything.

But in Ansur, this was not the case.

Knock

Knock

"Come in."

Handling the finance department and logistics of the Kingdom was Klaus Curtis Levantine, heir to the Levantine family and beloved husband of Princess Knight, Claudia Levantine.

He called whoever was knocking on the door leading to his main study inside. His eyes still glued to the stacks of paper and documents neatly piled up on his desk, he didn't even check who it was walking inside the room.

As there could only be one person who ever bothered to visit him.

"How are you, dear?" he asked, shifting through another paper.

"I'm fine. You should go out more often, Klaus."

The gentle voice of his wife came from behind him, bringing a warm smile to his face. He dropped the quill back inside the ink bottle, rubbing his eyes as the tiredness of not sleeping for nearly two days. It became obviouse to him that it was starting to catch up.

A pair of delicate hands came to rest on his shoulders, applying a bit of strength and massaging his sore and stiff muscles. He knew how much she was holding back, having to control her great strength at all times when it came to every day tasks. He remembered the day when she kept breaking every door handle around their home and nearly snapped him in half when she held his body in her sleep.

The man wasn't strong enough to handle her strength on a regular basis, but he loved her just as much, and so did she.

"Still working on Blueborn's case?" she asked, looking over his shoulder, reading the contents of the parchment.

"Among other things, yes. He keeps acquiring large sums of wealth from sources that can not be from his predisposed stores. The Blueborn family owns a collection of auctions across the seven kingdoms, yet even after I count all the accumulated profit they got from each item sold and even tripled checked it, it still does not equal what they received. Something is going on here, and I thought that it wasn't good."

Klaus met Henry Blueborn in the past, the current head of the family. He saw how the man bought several acres of land and even sponsored the Kuroinu army with wealth far beyond Klaus ever expected from his family's coffers.