Chapter 45: Deal

Beta read by Shigiya and Fluffy Slayer.

.

.

.

-Feoh-

The revelation of what they just witnessed shook every single Princess Knight to the core.

Vault was an acclaimed general and fighter known for his combat prowess and leadership skills, having led armies through countless battles without ever losing once to Olga's evil demonic spawns. One of the few individuals they considered an equal, a paragon who could stand among them as a Shield member and trusted ally.

"Impossible!" Alicia shouted, her sentiment shared by her peers. Prim by her side gasped at the shocking revelation.

Maia couldn't believe her ears, "K-Kaguya, did y-you make a mistake?" The revelation had put her mind in complete disarray, thousands of thoughts flashing by the second. Her breathing had become ragged and her general presence exuded pure disbelief. Did she mean that only Vault died? Or was it his entire group? 'Wait... she also said that Castle Discordia was destroyed...'

Kaguya shook her head, plagued by doubts of her own, but the moths were connected to her religion's patron, with the voice inside her assuring her that there was no misunderstanding - which turned her legs into jelly. She nearly fell until Celestine came to her aid and made sure she was okay.

"There... there is no mistake I'm afraid. My deity has confirmed it."

"Had she decided to kill herself with Vault as a last-ditch effort?" Prim asked.

"No," Celestine denied that possibility immediately. "Olga is still alive, I can sense it. If she had died then I would have known firsthand."

"That damnable Olga Discordia!" Claudia slammed her armored fists against the table, nearly splitting into two with her strength. "She must have gotten wind of Vault's assault and set up traps within her domain. How despicable! To use her own castle as bait... she truly deserves the title of Dark Queen."

"Shame, it would have given me great joy to salvage what remained of her weapon collection and valuables." While saddened at the loss, Luu-Luu did feel remorse for Vault's death as well as the Kuroinu in general - but the destruction of a castle holding centuries' worth of valuable artifacts was far more heartbreaking. She envisioned building a new halberd for herself using some of the materials from Olga's throne. Given its mystical composition , she feared that not even Celestine could replicate the materials. "Maybe I can send some of my soldiers to scavenge the ruins?" She whispered quietly, thinking up on ways to scavenge the area.

"No... No, it wasn't Olga. She had no part in their deaths." Kaguya's announcement silenced everyone in the room, the furious Claudia was now confused. Wondering who else could have done such a thing.

"Has the southern Kingdom, Furusutāj, decided to aid the Queen? I heard they use a renowned mercenary group that is composed of demihumans called the White Wolves. They said that the group was similar to the Kuroinu. Even if Olga isn't seen in a good light by the demihumans, she still possesses vast amounts of riches that could have swayed them regardless of their feelings." Pondering over the possibilities, Claudia knew it wasn't as clear-cut as it appeared to be. "There is also Nidavellir that is more likely to come to her aid, but they haven't been involved in this conflict for a century."

"It has to be one of them," Alicia sneered in anger, her disgust grew by the second at the notion that these powers would so brazenly fraternize with their worst enemy. "Those opportunistic scoundrels would aid both sides, hoping to see us kill each other so that they can invade our lands."