Chapter 43: And so it begins Part 4

Beta read by Shigiya, Fluffy Slayer, Paragon of Awesomeness and DOOMRAIDER.

(Warning: Added a pic below, had to censor it due to site rules and to make sure the story or chapter doesn't get removed)

.

.

.

-Ansur-

Never had Klaus felt so nervous in his life, the last time he had so many goosebumps all over his skin was probably back when he first met Claudia. He initially thought it would turn into a disaster, instead it became one of his most beloved memories.

There was a lot he desired to accomplish in his life. First and foremost was to live up to his father's — Grave Levantine — expectations. The famous war hero and military genius was well renowned throughout the land, having bested even Claudia in close quarters combat through pure skills alone. For an elderly man to beat a Princess Knight was nothing short of a miracle. Even with such big shoes to fill, Klaus still tried to make his father proud, yet failed miserably whenever it concerned combat or military jargon. Let alone using a sword, he was even incapable of running short distances without his heart giving up halfway. His frail constitution being the underlying reason behind his failures. Another primordial factor was his phobia for blood, where the mere sight of a drop would make him nauseous. That in addition to his other flaw, burned any chances of a life in the military.

Klaus knew that his abilities would be better suited behind a desk, preferring the “pen is mightier than the sword” outlook. — so he tried to impress his father in his own way.

"Haa…" the man sighed, walking down the empty corridor filled with ornate decorations and paintings of his father. "No matter what accomplishments I may hold, it wouldn’t amount to anything in his eyes."

He couldn’t even remember the last time his father smiled at him — probably a midsummer night’s dream given how big of a disappointment he was in the man’s eyes. But things turned for the worse when it was discovered that he was incapable of conceiving a child with his dear Claudia — And that reality was the final nail in the coffin, sealing their relationship forever. Eyes that once looked at him with disdain soon turned into pure hatred… so much so that Klaus was certain that it was only a matter of time before he'd get disowned.

Recently, Claudia gave him the courage he needed to confront his father on a matter that had plagued his mind for years: Adopting a child.

'She always wanted to raise her own kids…' For all the toughness she displayed, his wife was a big softy when it came to children. He'd seen her gaze longingly at the kids that were playing on the streets whenever they rode by on their horses, a detail that made him curse himself for his impotence. By his own will or not, he felt he’d robbed the chance for her to ever be a mother.

So it came to no surprise when she suggested taking in an orphaned boy or girl and raising them as the next heir to the Levantine name. Claudia promised she would teach them everything she knew and would even ask the Goddess Reborn herself to provide a blessing if they got a girl.

"Surely Father will like that; he values strength above all else and having a child blessed by the Goddess and taught by Claudia herself would satisfy him." Truth be told, the chances of a positive outcome was practically rock-bottom, he knew that better than anyone else. "But if he doesn't accept… then I'll relinquish my titles and leave this place with Claudia."

His knees shook when the familiar giant black doors leading to Grave's personal study came into view. With his heart pounding and sweat rapidly building up inside his palms, Klaus was quite nervous to say the least.