Chapter 53: Archer and Celestine Part 3

Beta read by Shigiya and Fluffy Slayer

Happy late New Year! This chapter was supposed to be released on the 1st but holidays and my own health kinda ruined my schedule...

.

.

.

-Feoh-

"Maia…" 

Their eyes met, one reflecting a turbulent mix of emotions encompassing hatred and confusion. While the other regarded the fiery redhead before him with a sense of detachment, their eyes retaining an unflinching stoicism — untroubled by the encounter. 

"..." She gnashed her teeth when he called her name, his tone incongruously casual, as if he hadn't betrayed her and killed the Kuroinu, who she considered her family. "Enlighten me… was it funny to see me being such a naive lovesick bitch? Did you get off on the idea of seeing me crumble by killing my friends after fucking me!?" She wanted to cry, no, it was too late… Maia already had tears streaming down her face by now if that wet sensation on her cheeks were any indication. 

"They weren't your friends," he answered without missing a beat. "Or specifically, those who you trusted with your life did not see you as a friend." 

"Kin and Hicks were always the bl—"

"I'm not talking about them," he cut her off. "No need to act ignorant. You know full well who I'm talking about." 

"Vault!?" Her fists balled up, nails digging into her palms, deep enough to leave a mark. "Do you take me for some sort of dumb gullible fuck!? Vault fought valiantly for this kingdom as well as all six others for decades! He's shed his blood countless times, saving the lives of thousands in the war against the bitch behind you!" She pointed hatefully at Olga, the latter unaffected by her words. 

"Don't you dare point that dirty finger at Olga-sama!" Chloe shouted as she moved to confront Maia, halted only by Archer’s raised hand and a cautionary glare. 

"Don't. You'll just lead us into more trouble." 

"Tch!" The blonde elf cast a final glare at both Princess Knights before resuming her position by her Queen's side, to ensure that none of the knights around them would attack her by surprise. "Do whatever you want then." 

Redirecting his attention back to Maia, Archer was having a conundrum on how he should explain the situation that they’ve now found themselves in. Did he owe her any explanations at all? His duty as a Counter Guardian never required reliance on others, as Alaya provided them with an infinite well of energy. Then again, his case now was different than anything in the past, and he will be forced to make concessions on some level — but that didn't mean he was willing to be pushed around. 

"Who is that?" Maia’s gaze honed in on the child cradled in Archer’s arms. Her mind swiftly rehashed the convoluted events revolving around him and his veiled enigmas. So she couldn't help but fear the worst when looking at the sleeping Radomira. "Don't tell me… she's like your secret love child between you and Olg—oi!" 

Her question was cut short by Archer striding forwards and unceremoniously dropping the girl onto Maia’s arms — Caught off guard, the latter instinctively juggled the Tiefling with a flabbergasted expression while dropping her swords in the process. 

"Hold her for me. Unfortunately, you're the only one I trust here, " he teased, a glint of amusement in his eyes. “Besides, it’s too much of a hassle to tell you the whole story right now.” 

Why did he have to say something like that…? It just made it harder for her to hate him while her thirst for answers remained unquenched. "Wha—!" 

With a swift move, he seized her shoulders and deftly nudged the red-haired woman aside, expertly parrying a thrust from Alicia herself. The blade grazed perilously close to his cheeks thanks to his quick dodge at the last second. Meeting the gaze of the fuming Princess Knight, he taunted. "Quite the display of chivalry there. A Sneak attack? Even I can't help but be stunned by your dishonorable demeanor."