Ten

After the funeral we walked back to the camp. Carl came walking next to me. "Hello." I greeted him kindly. I didn't expect him to come to me to talk. He always went over to the other kids, mostly Sophia. "Hi." He greeted back, "How are you? I saw the blood on your shirt last night. I thought you were bit."

"Oh, yeah that. Don't you worry, I ain't bit I just killed a walker." I told him.

"You killed a walker?" He questioned in disbelief.

"Yeah. It was quite disgusting actually." I explained while getting half flashbacks of the walker with his guts out on the floor. It still was terrifying

"It was pretty badass. I mean Shane and my dad killed a lot of them but I've never seen a woman of our group do it. They're all so scared, I am too but I know I will be alright. There's a bunch of people that will protect me. I mean, look at my mom, she wouldn't dare to kill one. She thinks they are still humans." He chuckled. "You think it's funny that she's afraid of the walkers? She has every right to be, okay? Those things almost killed all of us. You should be glad there are people to protect you. One day they won't be there for you and you'll be by yourself. Who's gonna keep you alive and safe then, huh?" I lectured him. Carl looked at me shocked, "Well, you're no fun to talk to." He stormed off.

Daryl came back at my side. "What was that 'bout?" I rolled my eyes at him, "Carl thinks it's funny that his mother is to scared to kill a walker. So I gave him a small lecture that she is right to be afraid and that it's no fun to kill a walker up close."

"Alright." He replied with a sigh.

"What? Should I have told him that it's not terrifying to see one of those things coming towards you and almost getting killed by it?"

"No. Ye should've told him to shut up 'bout it and mind his own business."

"That's exactly what I did?" I said logically, "In my own way."

"Right. Well.. uhm.. What do ye think 'bout the plan for the CDC?"

"It's not the worst plan," I started as we walked past the RV, "For him." I gestured to Jim.

Later that day Rick and Shane came back from their run. Shane came to the campfire where most of us were sitting and told us that we need to stay together and we should leave first thing in the morning. We all silently agreed and continued with our business.

*

We all round up and discussed the plan and route for the journey to the CDC. We'd have to go around the city to draw the least amount of attention from the walkers. Shane told us to stay on channel 40 on the walkies and if you don't have one to press the horn once if you needed something.

"We're uhm.. We're not going." Morales started. "We have family in Birmingham. We wanna be with our people." His wife finished.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back." Shane warned them.

"We'll take the chance. I gotta do what's best for my family." Morales reasurred them.

"You sure?" Rick had to ask them.

"We talked about it. We're sure." He told them again.

"All right." Rick started. Him and Shane wisperd something and gave them a gun and a bit of ammo. Daryl exasperated at that action. Lori went over to them to give goodbye hugs. I looked over to Carl, he was crying. I knew it wasn't because of my lecture but because his friends were leaving. We all said our goodbyes and wished them good luck on their journey. After that we all left. I sat in the car with Daryl. It was a blue truck. We somehow got Merle's bike on the back. It was quiet.

*

After an hour or something of driving the RV decided to stop driving. We were looking around for a sign of other cars to fix it. Nothing. Jacqui came out of the now broken RV. "Y'all, Jim.. It's bad. I don't think he can take it anymore." She told us when she walked back to him. Shane was going out with T-Dog to check what he might have seen. Rick went to check in on Jim. I looked through the window for a second and he looked like shit. He was pale white and sweating. 

When Rick came back out he told us that Jim was done and wanted to be left behind. We had a small discussion to decide what we were going to do with him. Dale advised us that we should ask him what he wants and that was leaving him behind.

As Jim asked us we left him behind. We sat him to a tree and all said our goodbyes one by one, again. Daryl and I walked back to the blue truck. We drove off and gave him one last look. I started crying. I don't even know why. It was the right thing to do. Jim wanted this. We couldn't force him to stay.