Chapter 29: Synthetic Guilt

Normal Perspective:

A few days had passed since the Synth-En incident, and Ratchet had fully recovered from both its effects, and the injuries he sustained from Megatron, and was now back at work as if nothing had happened.

The medic worked himself hard to make up for what he had done by helping the others with whatever they needed, even if it was outside the Medbay. The Autobots appreciated this, as did the humans, but they all agreed that he didn't need to push himself, and that everything was fine, and he eventually backed off and went back to doing what he normally did.

The Autobots had also forgiven him for what he had said and done during his time under the influence of the unstable Energon. Especially since he had led them to a sizeable supply of the normal variant, and that he was just simply wanting to help them more than he did.

But while the physical wounds had healed, the emotional ones had not.

Michael still hadn't forgiven the medic for what he had said to him, and gave him the cold shoulder whenever he saw him.

The Techno-Organic knew that Ratchet hadn't meant any of what he had said, as it was the Synth-En making him say those things, but as much as Michael knew that, he couldn't stop the feelings of anger from flowing within him whenever he saw the medic.

He didn't hate the medic. Not even close. But he couldn't stop the words he had said from flying around his head.

But Michael hadn't been the only one affected mentally by the incident.

Starscream had been too.

But it wasn't anger that the seeker felt when he was around the medic. He felt something else.

Fear.

Whenever Starscream saw the medic, and whenever the subject of Megatron was brought up, the seeker would tense up and shiver slightly, though he would often try to hide it.

The Autobots didn't take much notice of this, for they had other things to worry about.

But Bumblebee had noticed.

He could see whenever Starscream was trying to hide his behavior from those around him.

He knew what, or rather who, the seeker was afraid of.

Because he had the exact same fear.

Megatron.

As much as he didn't want to have anything in common with the former 'Con, this was something that he couldn't ignore, for he knew what it was like, even if the seeker was older than him, and had been present when the Warlord had ripped his voicebox out.

One day, about a week after the incident, Ratchet was working in the Command Center like he usually did. Optimus, Arcee, and Cliffjumper were also in the room.

Michael, in his human form, then entered the room, and he smiled as he saw Optimus, Arcee, and Cliffjumper, but his expression darkened when he saw Ratchet.

Shifting to his Cybertronian form, he left the base to go for a drive.

The bots noticed the Techno-Organic's expression as he left, and Ratchet just sighed.

"Do not feel bad, Old Friend." Optimus said. "He knows that you didn't mean what you had said to him."

"I know, Optimus." Ratchet replied gloomily. "But I said horrible things to him. I even blamed him for his family's demise for Primus' sake!"

"He will forgive you eventually." Optimus said. "He just needs time."

Ratchet said nothing, and went back to his work.