Chapter 6

Just like last night, Sakura couldn't stop thinking about her argument with Sasuke. She had been keeping herself busy all day, doing random checkups, visiting the lab, and doing paperwork, yet nothing was working and it was starting to annoy her. She didn't know what the argument meant and she desperately wanted answers.

If she wasn't so afraid of what the truth could be, she would've already hunted the Uchiha down and demanded him to explain. How she wished she was confident enough to do so. Actually, how she wished her stupid, fickle, jerk of a teammate would—

"Ow,"

"Sorry," Sakura let go of Sai's arm, which she had been unknowingly gripping too tight.

They were both inside the usual room used for Konoha twelve, giving Sai his checkup for the month. Out of all her teammates, he was the only one who ever got his done on time without having to be scolded by their sensei or herself. He was responsible unlike the other two, and although he didn't always know how to communicate properly, he did try his best unlike one in particular.

"How are you and Sagishi?" Sai asked as she examined his pulse.

"What do you mean?"

"I was told you had a date with him."

"Of course, you were," Sakura felt annoyance spread through her, knowing it was Ino who'd blabbed. "And it wasn't a date."

"It wasn't?"

"No, we simply had dinner together. All co-workers do that after work sometimes."

Sai briefly gave a thoughtful look. "But you two aren't co-workers."

"He helps out a lot here, so technically—"

"He only helps out because you're here."

Irritated, Sakura kept her mouth shut, hoping he'd understand that she didn't want to talk about it anymore. Too bad it was Sai she was examining and not someone who actually caught on to silent hints.

"Plus, Sagishi said you two had a good time," Sai mentioned.

"We did," Sakura frowned. "As friends."

"Friends, huh?" An unwanted voice came from behind the pinkette, causing her frown to deepen. One of them was already enough, having the duo together, and on her, was worse.

"Good, you're here," Sakura faced her blonde friend who slowly walked into the room. "Now you can finish Sai's checkup yourself. I'm busy."

Ino blocked her way, stopping her from leaving. "My man looks fine as usual." Sai smiled at her words. "You, on the other hand, look like you're trying to escape."

"That's because I know what's coming."

"Good," Ino matched her glare. "So, let's get right into it—why have you been avoiding Kai all day?"

"I'm not avoiding anyone, I'm busy."

Ino scoffed. "Whatever, he's been looking for you and you haven't been anywhere found."

"Like I said, I have work." Sakura bit out, annoyed further.

"So, it's work, hm?"

"Yes!"

"Really?" Ino crossed her arms. "It has nothing to do with the fact that Sasuke walked you home after your date. A date that went very well, if I may add."

"Spying on me now?" Though the pinkette loved her friend's protectiveness, she could be too much at times.

"Oh, please. I went over to get the deeds on your nice date, but when I got there, I saw you and Sasuke ready to strangle each other."