Chapter 24

[Training Grounds]

The afternoon sun was beginning to go down, and as the evening night approached, the wind started to feel colder.

Sasuke hadn't seen Sakura since his appointment a week ago which was three days after team seven had their night. He didn't know if it was him merely overthinking things, but he felt as though she was avoiding him.

She'd spoken regularly to him during his checkup, even spent a little more time talking to him when it was over. There was also the fact that Ino mentioned she was extra busy at work, and seeing as he also had his own duties, it should be clear their schedules were to blame.

Too bad his mind continued to think the worst.

He'd only recently reconnected with Sakura and hoped the bond hadn't been broken again. He didn't even know what reason there was for it to be.

"You're not even focused, dammit! Why can't I get a single land on you!" Tenten fumed.

"I am focused." Sasuke returned while dodging another one of her attacks.

"Yeah, right. You've been spacing out the entire time." She flopped down on the ground, trying to catch her breath. "Ahhh, how long have we been going at it?"

"It's only been two hours. I thought you said you wanted to train as much as possible?"

"I did, but it's clearly not working!"

Sasuke had been training with her for months. She was very skilled with weapons, her aim rivaling his own and she didn't even have the sharingan to help. The problem was she wasn't fast enough, or at least she didn't use to be. Now that they'd been training for so long her speed had improved, she just didn't notice it.

Being this comfortable with Tenten was odd as he thought they had nothing in common to reflect on. However, he did use to have the same thoughts about Ino and Hinata, yet Ino sometimes nagged him as if he were her husband, and Hinata always invited him over for dinner whenever she crossed paths with him. Then there was Temari who knew how to take his insults well and return them just as quickly.

Had someone told him six years ago he would be good friends with so many females, and those specific ones at that, he'd think they were crazy.

Tenten was a bit different than the others, though.

He'd have to say he enjoyed one on one time with her more than the rest. All they did was train. She didn't have a significant other she was constantly bragging about nor on her hip. She was calm.

Someone who wasn't always gossiping like Ino, or unintentionally reminding him about his marriage-less life like Hinata, or bluntly telling him he would die alone one day like Temari.

Looking up at the sky darkening further, Sasuke decided to call their training done for the day a little earlier than usual.

"Don't tell me you're going on a date." Tenten teased.

Sasuke didn't respond as he continued to pick up his things from the ground.

"Wow," she suddenly breathed out, amazed.

"What?"

"Nothing," she chuckled. "It's just that I'm sure this is the first time you've actually given a girl a chance. You must really like her."

Mayu's eyes flashed through his mind for a moment before he walked off, planning to shower before visiting her workplace.

In truth, he wasn't all too excited to see her, but he figured that was only because he didn't know her all too well yet.