Chapter 17

[Training Grounds]

It was late and dark, the moonlight shining down bright from way above.

He didn't doubt it being way past midnight already, meaning he'd been out there for hours ever since he stormed out of the Uzumaki home. He wasn't entirely sure how much time had gone by exactly. He'd been too busy in his own head to notice anything else.

Sasuke was perched up on a tree, his gaze aiming at the night sky above while a certain pinkette invaded his thoughts. There was no point in his return anymore. He wasn't even sure what he was still doing sitting there.

Engaged to be married...

He felt like a complete idiot, especially since Naruto Uzumaki had been right about him. He was way too overconfident about the love Sakura had for him and truly believed it'd always be him.

While he was out traveling, he assumed Sakura was working hard as she always did. All while waiting patiently for his return. But in reality, she started seeing someone else. And the longer he was away, the more her feelings faded. Faded so much to the point that she forgot about him and was willing to marry another man.

Hinata didn't even have to tell him who she was engaged to. He figured that out the second his brain was able to register her words.

Kai Sagishi.

That was why he was still around, why everyone was suddenly so close to him. The rest of Konoha 12 talked to him freely without the need of Sakura being around. Unlike him, Kai was naturally included by all of them.

Then there was the way she looked at him...

It made him feel robbed somehow. Not even Sai replacing him in team seven made him feel the way he was now considering he knew his spot would always be open. Now his spot was gone and there was nothing he could do about it.

"I knew I'd find you eventually."

Sasuke turned his head at the sound of the familiar voice. From his high spot on the tree, he could see Naruto slowly making his way toward him. He figured the blonde would set out to find him at some point, he just assumed—and hoped—it'd be in the morning.

"What are you doing here?"

Naruto merely lifted his gaze upward to get a good look at the raven for a moment, then he turned around to lean back against the tree's trunk, his teammate sitting not too far above his head. They both faced absently ahead of themselves without saying another word. The sound of the wind passing through the trees and branches kept it from being too silent.

"Hinata told me what happen." Naruto finally spoke after a long-silenced pause.

Sasuke closed his eyes recalling the way he reacted after hearing the news.

Hinata had asked if he was okay, then when he didn't respond, she approached him hesitantly to make sure he was fine. Her face had been full of concern as she placed a hand on his for comfort, but he yanked his away harshly and glared before walking out. Slamming the door behind him as he left.

"I didn't mean to be rude to Hinata," Sasuke said sincerely. "I intend to apologize first thing—"

"Enough." Naruto cut him off. "Hinata isn't upset about how you reacted, she's worried."

If the raven wasn't feeling so shitty, he probably would've been relieved by his words.

"I planned on letting you think things through and speaking to you tomorrow, but my wife can't sleep so here I am now." Naruto shook his head. "You're so frustrating."