Chapter 43

"Sakura?"

Sakura blinked at the sound of her name and then looked up to see the raven standing in the mirror behind her. "What?" she asked as she fixed the towel hugging her body then ran her fingers through her wet hair.

"I asked if you wanted me to bring you lunch for work later," Kai repeated, his voice beginning to sound impatient.

"Oh, no, I'm fine. Ino and I agreed to have lunch together," she lied.

Kai stared at her for a moment with a look that always made her avoid his gaze. "Why are you so zoned out lately?"

Sakura's fingers paused in her hair, a mild tightness gripping her chest.

The memory of her lying drunk on her couch as lips kissed her own with so much emotion made her feel uneasy at his question.

"I don't know what you mean," she finally stated with a reassuring smile.

Kai continued to look at her doubtfully before stepping out of the bathroom, allowing her to release a breath.

The morning she'd woken up on her couch, she'd gotten a sharp headache as punishment for drinking as much as she had. She'd been confused about how she'd gotten home for a moment, her mind too focused on her hangover instead.

It took her a moment to try out the jutsu she'd made to ooze the pounding in her head. And it was then that everything that happened, the entire night she spent with Sasuke, came back to her.

She remembered all the fun they had on their trip home, every word that was said, and the kiss that she could still somehow feel on her lips.

She must've passed out afterward considering she didn't have any recollection of what happened once their lips parted for the last time. Only the look in his eyes and then everything went dark.

Sakura spent that morning thinking about everything. Him, her husband, herself. Until she found herself leaving her home and heading toward the Uchiha's.

She'd knocked and knocked, and when there was no answer, she searched for him. She went to all the places she knew he usually visited.

She couldn't wait. She had things to tell him, many things. Things she was becoming certain of, she just needed that extra push to be completely positive.

She searched and searched...but when she suddenly bumped into Naruto, she was informed that their teammate was gone.

Sasuke took a job at the border. He'd been out there for a month now with no signs of returning nor a single letter on how he was doing to anyone.

And she missed him.

"Sakura!" Kai snapped.

"Yes?" Sakura's gaze flew to his.

She was now dressed and in the kitchen fixing him breakfast before leaving to work. She was multitasking with her thoughts and her cooking that she didn't even realize he'd walked in.

"The stove!" He turned it off and moved the lit pan to the sink, the light flame fading to smoke once he'd turned on the faucet.

Something else she didn't realize; she almost burned down their kitchen.

"Where's your head at?" Kai scolded, frowning her way. Though the look was more of concern than actual anger.

"I'm sorry,"

He clicked his tongue and then turned off the running water before facing her again. "You okay?"

Sakura nodded.

"You need to pay attention," he tried to run his fingers through her hair, but when she suddenly jerked back, his eyes narrowed. "What?"

"What?" Sakura blinked up at him.