Chapter 39

[A week Later]

Time in fact did not go slow.

Sasuke stood outside the large building hosting his best friend's wedding anniversary.

It was still early and there still wouldn't be anyone for another few hours, yet he already had the sudden urge to leave. No one but Hinata and a few staff waited inside which was the only reason why he pushed the front door open and willingly walked in.

He didn't want to be there, especially not later on in the evening. The thought of having to interact with people other than Konoha 12 annoyed him. He knew there would be multiple small talks he would have to go through.

That wasn't the only—or main—thing making him uneasy, though. He knew he'd have to see Sakura next to her husband the entire night.

Dammit.

Walking into the large event space filled with tables set randomly around the place, he approached Hinata who was setting things up on a rectangular table sitting on the other side of the room.

"Sasuke, you're here." Hinata smiled up at him. "What do you think?"

"It's nice." Sasuke scanned the place.

A few staff members moved around setting things up for the night, others came in and out from the kitchen doors in the back. All of them dress properly as waiters.

"I mean the table." Hinata clarified and then waited for his gaze to fall back on the table before them. "We'll all be sitting here."

Sasuke noticed it was the longest table in the room. All the others were either square or round. He then noticed the count of the chairs: 16. For everyone in Konoha 12 and those who had spouses.

"During the after party for our wedding, we all ended up pulling four tables together since we kept wanting to talk to one another," Hinata explain with an amused smile on her face. "I figured this would be a good idea since we might just end up doing the same thing again."

Seemed he missed out on a lot that day. Every time someone mentioned their wedding, the topic went on and on and he always felt left out.

Why he hadn't visited even if just for the day, he had no idea.

"Looks good," Sasuke nodded.

After taking off his anbu vest and setting it aside, he began doing the things Hinata had instructed him on. It seemed pretty simple, something she could've done herself, which led him to believe there was another reason for her asking him for help.

"How are you, Sasuke?" Hinata finally asked after they'd been working in comfortable silence for almost half an hour.

"I'm fine," Sasuke replied, watching her pick up his anbu vest and setting it inside one of the boxes with things she wanted to get out of the way for now.

"I've been meaning to talk to you," she admitted. "I haven't had that chance because I know it's a sensitive topic, especially when Naruto's around."

Sasuke nodded in understanding. "Now's not a good time."

He knew Hinata didn't expect details on what happened nor did she expect an explanation of things he was sure she was aware of. Had it been anyone else that brought it up, he would've felt annoyed. But knowing she'd never judge him and would find a way to side with him, he merely felt at ease by her concern.

"I understand," she smiled warmly at him. "Also, I asked for you to come early so I could let you know it's okay if you don't stay at the party long."

Sasuke blinked.