Chapter 34

The moment Sasuke opened his eyes, he shot up to his feet and walked into his kitchen.

The girls watched as he took a quick glance around the room with his hair disheveled and face slightly paler than usual, and when he didn't see the person he was looking for, he walked out and went straight for his room.

As expected, Sakura was already gone for work.

"Are you okay?" Kana asked once he returned.

"Fine."

"Are you sure? You looked dead while you were sleeping," she said bluntly. "Even Sakura checked your pulse before she left."

Sasuke glared her way.

It was their fault for keeping him up most of the night with frustrating thoughts. He'd even gone for a walk in hopes they'd be done when he returned, but they weren't. It made him wonder how the hell he'd been able to sleep through it every other time.

"We made you breakfast." Kimi smiled, trying to ease his sudden annoyance. "Your favorite."

Sasuke took a look at the freshly served plate in front of him. Though he wouldn't say the dish was his favorite, it was one he did enjoy having in the morning.

Such a nice meal served for him made his head pulse more than it already was. Why? Because it was made for one of two reasons: they either did something or wanted something.

If it was the former, he would hand them over to the enemy. If it was the latter, his answer was an immediate no.

Sitting down, Sasuke eyed them as they continued looking his way with kind smiles. He could only hope whatever was coming wasn't expensive.

"What do you want?"

"For you to enjoy your meal." Kana lifted a shoulder.

"What did you do?"

"The breakfast."

He refused to touch the plate until they fessed up.

The meal wasn't an act of kindness, it was a bribe.

"Fine." Kana relented with a sigh. "We were hoping you'd let us go to this party—"

"No."

"What? Why not?"

Sasuke didn't answer. He merely began digging into his plate, only just realizing how hungry he'd been.

"You can't eat that if you're not gonna let us go!"

"Already am."

"You've been a real jerk since the party a few days ago!" When the raven paused his eating to glare at her, Kana swallowed and tried again. "It's only a few people and it's going to be completely—"

"How do you all even throw parties? This village is poor."

"Humble," she corrected just as he'd done a few days ago. "And why not?"

"It's dangerous."

"No one's going to find me here ever and you know that! You just want to keep me from having fun for some reason!"

She was right. She didn't deserve to have fun after keeping him up all night. If you asked him, she had enough fun already.

"No."

"Come on—"

"No," Sasuke repeated firmly and then stood from his chair.

Before he walked out of the kitchen to get ready, he turned to the girls again knowing they'd be gone for their shift soon.