Chapter 15

"Oh, wow!" Sakura beamed once she recovered from her shock. "What a surprise! We didn't expect to see you again for another year."

Sasuke felt something off. Something was different, something was...wrong. He just couldn't put his finger on what. She didn't seem disappointed in seeing him. In fact, her joy in him being there was genuine.

It just wasn't the same.

"What brings you back so soon?" Her voice woke him from his thoughts.

"... Just missed home."

"I see," Sakura nodded. "Well, you being here is perfect because I need your help. You too, Naruto."

"With what?" Naruto asked hesitantly.

And all of a sudden, the happy expression that was on the pinkette's face turned into one of pure anger. It made the blond flinch back behind his other teammate.

"My stupid landlord said if I don't have my stuff out by tonight, he's charging me for another month." Sakura spat before smiling brightly again. "I need an extra pair of hands."

So, this is what he meant...

"You're moving out?" Sasuke asked as they followed behind her.

"I am. No more apartment for me!"

"Into a house?" Sasuke blinked, surprised. "That's an improvement. Thought you said they were too expensive."

"Well, yeah, but I didn't pay for it," she said with a small skip in her step. "Now let's hurry before he tosses all my stuff out, that crabby old man."

When they made it to her apartment, all of her belongings were already set inside boxes for them to take. There was nothing left unpacked at all.

They each grabbed a few boxes and made their way to what Sasuke assumed was the direction to her new home. And the whole time heading there, Sakura conversed with him and Naruto casually, talking as though he'd never left.

It made him feel glad to be home once again.

Sakura's new house was bigger than he'd expected it'd be. It was a beautiful Japanese styled home. Seeing it, Sasuke wondered how the hell she got something this great for free.

"How did you get this house?" he spoke his mind as he looked around.

"My parents bought it for me."

"They did?"

"Yeah," Sakura chuckled at his surprise. "It was like a 'I'm sorry I wasn't really there for you, so here's a house to make up for our absence' kind of thing."

Sasuke nodded, recalling all those certain times when they were genin. Sakura's parents were never around, and when they were, they never paid much attention to their daughter. Nor did they care about the two boys she invited into her bedroom a few times like most parents would. They were always too busy working.

At times it felt as though she was just like Naruto and himself, without the love of a parent, and he didn't know which one of them had it worse; having the love of a family then losing it, having the family but never experiencing the love that came with it, or never having a family at all.

They each dropped her boxes in her spacious living room. Then taking another look around from the inside, Sasuke wondered why she was gifted such a big house for merely herself. It was a bit bigger than Naruto's new home, but he was married with kids soon to come—if he kept doing what he was doing—the size was appropriate for them.

Sakura was only one person.

The sound of glass shattering from the room next door brought him back from his thoughts, and when he looked over at Sakura, her eyes were closed and a kind smile was displayed on her lips, however, there was a murderess chill in the air.