Hold On To Sixteen

Everyone was busy preparing for sectionals. Rachel and Finn went on a road trip to go get Sam from Kentucky and Juniper decided to tag along.

"Wait, this can't be the right place," said Finn as they walked into a dim bar.

"Sam works in a bar?" asked Juniper. "Can I get a discount?"

"Juni, don't get any ideas," said Finn. "You need to stay away from alcohol. I'm serious."

"Quit worrying about me, Finn. I'm fine."

"I'm your brother. It's my job to worry about you," said the quarterback.

"Finn's right, Juniper," said Rachel. "It's getting out of hand and this isn't something to take lightly."

"Well, I appreciate the concern, but I've got it under control," said Juniper.

"I bet a lot of people who are about to die from alcoholism just said the same thing," said Finn.

"Good afternoon, ladies," said the announcer. "Are you ready to meet the men of Stallionz?"

The people in the room cheered.

"Then please welcome to the stage, Cobra!"

"I didn't know Backdraft was a musical," said Finn.

"Someone get the door, cause here comes Mr. Package."

"Oh my god," said Juniper, her eyes widening as she exchanged a look with Rachel.

"And ladies, let's give a warm welcome to White Chocolate!"

Sam came out onto the stage in a skimpy outfit. The dance music became louder and before Juniper could process what was happening, Rachel put a hand over the younger girl's eyes.

"That's not an image I can ever get out of my mind," said Finn.

"Give me a dollar," said Rachel.

"What?"

"Just give me a dollar. Juni, keep your eyes covered."

"Why?" asked Juniper.

"Because I said so."

Finn handed Rachel a dollar and she went up to the stage. Juniper looked up at the quarterback, who just shook his head in disbelief.

****

"Sam, are you crazy?" yelled Juniper. "What were you thinking working in a fucking strip club?"

"I tried getting a real job," said Sam. "D.Q. was great, and I got two free Blizzards a day, but it paid just over minimum wage. You know how much I made this afternoon? Sixty bucks."

"Good, pay up," said the burnette, holding her hand out. "You owe me for the trauma you caused by dancing on stage in your underwear."

Sam sighed and handed Juniper twenty dollars.

"Thanks," she smiled. "Now I'm gonna go get truma snacks."

"I'll go with you," said Rachel. "Someone has to keep you from drinking."

Rachel put an arm around the shorter brunette's shoulder and they went back out to the dining area. Luckily, there were no naked men on stage this time.

****

"Juni just told me the news that Trouty Mouth was back in town," said Santana as she and the younger girl entered the choir room. "I've been keeping a notebook, just in case this day ever came."

"Prepare to have your feelings hurt," said Juniper. "She's been working on this ever since you moved and there are a lot of insults in it."

"Welcome back, Lisa Rinna," said Santana as she read from the notebook. "I've missed you so much since your family packed their bags, loaded them in your mouth and skipped town. Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to enjoy a crisp pickle, but couldn't find anyone to suck the lid off the jar. I assume you've been working as a baby polisher, where young mothers place their infants' heads in your mouth to get back that newborn shine. So glad you're back. I haven't seen a smile that big since the claymation Abominable Snowman got his teeth pulled by that little gay elf dentist. Love, Santana."

"Isn't she a sweetheart?" asked Juniper with a laugh.

"I missed you too, Santana," said Sam with a huge smile as he pulled the Latina into a hug.

****

Juniper sat backstage sharing a pack of pretzels with Santana while they waited to compete at sectionals.

"How did this start?" asked Juniper in a soft tone.

"It was the only way I knew how to cope," mumbled Santana as she ate a pretzel. "I never meant for it to go this far."

"Cope with what?" asked the brunette, moving closer to the Latina.

"My feelings for you. Watching you numb your emotions with alcohol," said Santana. She sighed and looked the younger girl in the eyes. "You need to get help."

"If you want me to get help, you need to get it too," said Juniper.

"I know," said Santana, lowering her gaze.

"Ladies," said Mercedes, getting their attention. "It's time."

****

It was the Monday after sectionals. The New Directions had won.

"Alright, ladies," said Quinn as she came into the bathroom, where Santana, Mercedes, Juniper, and Brittany were. "Girl talk."

"No. Don't you dare try and give us a pep talk," said Santana.

"Or ask us to come back to New Directions. Not interested," added Mercedes.

"Wait, is it even possible? Do you think they would really take us back?" asked Brittany.

"Of course they would take us back. But I'm telling you, I'm not going," said Mercedes.

"Do you know what growing up is about?" asked Quinn. "Losing things. In six months, we'll all be gone. Scattered."

"We'll keep in touch," said Mercedes.

"Yeah, but it won't be the same," said Quinn. "When we see each other, it'll be a special occasion. It'll be different. I don't wanna grow up yet. I'm not ready to lose you girls."

"What are we supposed to do? Come back to Glee Club and sing background for Blaine and Berry until we graduate?" asked Mercedes. "I'm not doing that again. We know what it feels like to be out front now."

"What if Mr. Schue agreed to let the Troubletones sing at least one number per competition?" suggested Quinn.

"Well even if Mr. Schue agreed to that, Rachel never would," said Santana.

"What if I told you that they both already did?"

"I'm listening," said Mercedes, crossing her arms.

"Look, I know I went a little crazy," said Quinn, getting a small laugh from the other girls. "But I'm here now. I'm 17. I have the rest of my life in front of me. I love Glee Club. I love you girls," she said, looking each of them in the eye. "And when we're 27 or 87, I want us to look back on these next couple months and talk about how it was the best times of our lives. Can't do that if we're not all together."

Santana and Juniper exchanged a look. The Latina gave the brunette a small smile and took her hand, lacing their fingers together.

"We're doing a big number in the auditorium to celebrate our victory and to prepare for regionals. We could use a couple more girl voices," said Quinn. "Let me know if you hear about anybody who might want to join."

****