"Killer" King

Yumiko lay in the middle of the bed, her toddler resting beside her while napping peacefully.

"Hey, I'm home," Josuke whispered, slowly opening the bedroom door, smiling at his son and now wife.

"Mm? Josuke? Hey, welcome back," Yumiko mumbled sleepily.

"Thanks, how was Johiro for you today?" Josuke asked, crawling into the bed, sandwiching the young boy in between him and Yumiko.

"He was good, we decided to take a nap before you came home, I guess I slept too long, I haven't even started dinner yet," Yumiko said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Don't worry about it, just relax, we can order in tonight," Josuke said as he played with the curls that rested on his son's head.

The fiery red curls that linked his only son to the woman he loved.

"It's hard to think that we hated each other when we first met," Josuke chuckled, "and now we have a son that we made, together, without hatred."

"I never really hated you Josuke, you were just annoying and I thought it was cute," Yumiko mumbled.

"I knew it," Josuke chuckled softly.

"Knew what?" Yumiko asked, becoming defensive.

"That I found the right person to spend my life with," Josuke replied, kissing Yumiko's forehead.

"You big softie," Yumiko teased.

"Speaking of that, I had a question for you," Josuke began.

"Hey, we already have one kid who's barely over a year and a half old, I'm not ready for another," Yumiko said rigidly.

"No no, not that, I'm not ready either, but today at the station we had a meeting about the police dogs and there's one dog without a handler that's a little too wild for police work right now and they were hoping that I'd take him in and I said I'd talk to you about it," Josuke rambled.

"What kind of dog and where would he be staying?"

"A german shepherd and he'd be our dog, he'd live with us and we'd take care of him," Josuke explained.

"He's not dangerous is he?"

"No, what they mean by wild is that he's a little.... Free spirited, he needs a bit of stability and then I'm hoping I can take him to be my police partner," Josuke explained.

"Alright, but if Johiro gets injured, not hurt because that's inevitable but injured, the dog is out," Yumiko said.

"Deal."

—------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! I'm back! I brought the dog!" Josuke shouted through the house.

Yumiko walked around the corner from the Kitchen, Johiro on her hip.

At the sight of the two new people, the large dog began pulling on its leash.

"King, sit!" Josuke ordered, the German Shepherd obeying its command.

"His name is King?"

"Yup!"

Johiro reached out towards the dog, his hands making grabbing motions, "puppy!"

"He won't hurt him right?" Yumiko asked Josuke.

"I'm sure, King is the sweetest dog ever," Josuke reassured.

"Alright," Yumiko sighed, hesitantly putting Johiro down on the ground.

Johiro stepped towards the dog, King's tail wagging faster and faster as the boy neared.

The toddler stumbled on his last step, King's snout swooping down to aid the boy, Johiro becoming stable and being greeted by happy kisses from the dog.