13

2 WEEKS LATER

Brooklyn

I was with Hayes on another one of our famous car rides. Over the past two weeks I had been trying to make Hayes and my fake relationship seem as real as possible, but Gilinsky has been getting into my brain more and more.

Jack is just so real and funny and sweet and that jaw line could cut me. He makes me feel like a genuine person and it exhilarates me while I'm with him. And Hayes is just, well everything we have is just fake, even if he does send tingles and fireworks shooting throughout my body with every word or every touch, I don't like him and I never will.

He somehow talks me into this car ride every weekend since we started "dating". I get entangled in the hum that his voice leaves behind in my body, and the passion that bubbles inside of me when I'm around him. The feeling of warmth that starts from the core of my body and proliferates out to the ends of each hair.

To say the least Hayes confuses me. He makes my mind unable to focus, he makes my heart spin and he makes my body react in weird ways. I hate the blush that I feel creep to my cheeks and nose when he says my name or brushes my hand with his. I hate the way my breath hinges when he compliments me or puts his hand on the small of my back. I especially hate the hum that comes from the depths of my body when I'm around him. But that's only when he decides to be nice to me. Sometimes, out of the clear blue he'll blow up at me like a bomb. He especially gets mad when Jack posts pictures of us together. I don't know why Hayes gets so angry but he does. He'll get mad at me if I don't stand next to him in our circle of friends at school, he'll get mad if I want to drive my own car to school, he'll especially get mad if I call our relationship fake, even though it is.

Right now though, Hayes is driving us out to a field, a flat, seemingly endless cascade of rolling hills, and he brought our blanket that we sit on and look at the stars from.

I was sitting in the passenger seat being quiet as usual, and I can tell something is up with Hayes. I have never seen him stay quiet for this long, normally he will suggest that we play some stupid question game. "Hayesiepoo what's wrong?" I ask and nudge his hand with mine. He shakes his head, not speaking at all and puts the car in park as we reach the field.

I sigh as I unbuckle myself and get out of the car, grab our blanket and follow in step behind Hayes to our stargazing spot.

"Brooklyn, do you understand how much you aggravate me?" He starts. Oh no, here we go again.

"What did I do this time?" I question, trying to sound as strong as possible, but failing and my voice falters and falls weak.

"You keep on fucking around with Gilinsky and if it doesn't stop then not only will fans hate you but my friends will too! Do you not realize how detrimental it is to our fake relationship for people to think that you actually like me? I mean he posts a picture with you every other day!" He raises his voice by the end of the sentence, causing me to flinch back a little bit.

"Hayes I'm sorry but you can't honestly expect me to have no friends outside of you." I say as loudly as I can.

"Well, I wish it was possible for you to have friends but obviously you just like to flirt and slut around with all of them!" He screams at me, causing birds to fly off in every direction. I shrink down even farther, the look in his eyes is pure anger as his state is straight daggers toward me.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SLUT AROUND?" I practically boom my voice is so loud. Hayes looks taken aback my voice, but quickly recovers.

"DON'T PLAY DUMB WITH ME! JACK TOLD ME ABOUT YOU GUYS KISSING AND SOME OF MY FRIENDS FROM SCHOOL TOLD ME ABOUT HOW YOUVE FLIRTED WITH THEM." He says and rolls his eyes while yelling at me, I feel myself getting more and more heated.

I don't even understand why he starts these stupid arguments. "Please Hayes, please tell me why you do this to me." I say, my voice starting to sound weak and childish. I bury my head in my hands and breathe deeply.

"Because you're being stupid, Brooklyn! Do you not understand th-"

"Don't. Don't you dare tell me that I'm stupid or that I don't understand one more time Hayes." I cut him off and snap at him. "You constantly do this, the second I think- never mind. I'm calling Taylor and he's coming to pick me up and you can talk to me when you get your fucking head out of your ass!" I end up screaming by the end and then I pick up my phone and walk back towards the car, praying that Hayes doesn't follow me.

"Brooklyn." he calls as I start calling Taylor. I hear his feet stomp towards me, causing me to roll my eyes. "Brooklyn." he says from right behind me. I don't know why but the fact that he was behind me not only enraged every cell in my body, but made my eyes well with tears. I don't want to turn around, I don't want to look at him when my eyes were filled with tears, he could never see me like this.

The line goes dead and Taylor never answers. I drop my phone and Hayes steps in front of me.

"Let me just drive you home." he whispers and takes my hand, the same boy I know returning as he sits me in the passenger's seat and buckles my seat belt for me. I try to stop crying, and Hayes sits in the driver's seat, I feel his stare on me and he just whispers, "I'm sorry." and then starts driving.

I just want to be home with Taylor and a movie and not have to deal with Hayes or school or anything anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~