34

Hayes

Snuggled up on the couch watching a movie with my girl, that's how I imagined my Friday nights when Nash was on tour.

And that was happening, but my girl wasn't who I originally planning on spending my time with. I spend my nights with Angela, my officially unofficial girlfriend.

The original girl, her long brown hair haunts my mind. The way she could throw her hair up into a pony tail effortlessly. The way her eyes could shine even behind her glasses, God her eyes. I could tell everything from her beautiful blue eyes, she thought they couldn't compare to mine or Nash's, but she was so wrong. Nash and I, our eyes, they aren't soft spoken, mysterious, intriguing. They lay everything right on the table, but Brooklyn's, no. Hers hide things, they want you to search for the things you want to know, but they give you answers, they spill answers if the time is right.

And now, in my arms is a girl whose eyes are covered by color contacts, revealing literally nothing but the dyed plastic that I've grown accustomed to over the passed two weeks.

I like Angela, I really do. She's exciting to be around, she doesn't like to sit still.

She's the kind of person who does something new everyday. Yesterday we went on a hike, the day before we went to the mall, the day before we went to a restaurant in a town 3 hours away because she heard it had the best burger ever.

It's exciting, it's heart poundingly exciting. She makes everything else seem dull, she makes the world seem dull.

Did I like that? Yes, of course I liked that. She was so exciting that nothing compared to her.

"Hayes?" Angela says from my chest where her head lays.

"Yeah Ang?" I twirl a piece of her blonde hair in my fingers.

"Do I make you happy?" Curiously she looks up at me, hope present in her expression.

"Yes, Ang of course." my mind immediately responds, but I had never thought of it before. She does make things exciting, but am I happy with excited?

I settle with the easy answer, yes I am. I plant a sweet kiss on her head and we continue watching the movie.

My phone starts to ring and I pick it up without looking at my phone, like I normally do.

H: hello
N: hey Hayes? It's Nash
H: hey bro
N: Brooklyn got her foot boot off today, thought you would like to know.
H: and why would I want to know that?
N: you asked for updates. Two weeks ago you were thrilled that I told you she was blinking and breathing.
H: that was two weeks ago.
N: are you alone?
H: no... Now I am
N: Angela. Is that why you're being like this? Or because you're too coward to hear Brooklyn's name?
H: you're the one that encouraged me to ask out Angela. It was you.
N: I said get over her, as in stop moping around because you're in love with her, not be a dick and completely forget her.
H: I'm doing what I have to to be happy, Angela makes me happy. We both know Brooklyn has never been good enough for me, even after our agreement.
N: don't you ever say that bullshit. You're saying that because you love her, even when she's not dressing like the cool girl you thought you made her.
H: think that all you want Nash, but it's not the truth. I like Angela. And that's not changing.
N: you're fucking up big time. Look I got to go, Brooklyn is begging me to help her.
H: What why?
N: you don't care I thought.
H: stop fucking around why does she need help.
N: no you don't care, bye brother.

The line goes dead and I groan, I hate Nash.

"Who was that babe?" Angela says, joining me on her balcony.

"Nash, he just wanted to say hi." I reassure her and she nods, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Let's go finish the movie," she says and drags me back to the couch so we can finish the movie.

~~~

"Bye babe." Angela says to me as I walk out her door.

I leave a soft kiss lingering on her lips and wave as good bye.

I can't help but think about what Nash was saying, that I was going to regret it, I laugh, he doesn't understand what Brooklyn put me through.

I sigh, I don't want to think about her anymore. She plagued my thoughts, with her stupid strawberry scent that permeates my brain and shuts me down. Her stupid long legs and perfect body that I can't help but imagine laying against mine. Her fucking insanely stupid nimble fingers that when they touch me send nothing but electricity through m- no. I don't like her. I have Angela.

"Mom, I'm home!" I yell when I enter the house, Skylynn comes running to my side, her tiny legs carrying towards me.

"HAYESY!!!!!" She launches herself into my arms, wrapping her twig arms around my neck.

"Hi, Sky" I say through a chuckle, squeezing her sides and making her laugh.

"See Hayes, this is why I love Nash more." Sky says and puts her hands on her hip.

"Really, well then you better run Sky." I say with a smirk and she squeals as she tries to run.

I wrap my arms around her and put her over my shoulder, her laugh fills my ears with a certain happiness I haven't felt since Brooklyn has left.

I smile, Skylynn still sitting over my shoulder, but I'm thinking about someone else's laugh, and someone else's smile. Her plush pink lips, her perfectly straight teeth, how everything about her makes my skin crawl with happiness, how she doesn't make the world full with her excitement, but it makes the world light up.

It's not like it really matters, Brooklyn means nothing to me anymore. I just need to get her out of my head for long enough to let Angela obtain the place where the Brooklyn used to consume.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate myself for making this chapter.