Prologue

hope

Y/n sat at her desk before the open window in her bedroom, paint brush in hand, humming away to herself. She made soft flat stroked of oil paint onto her canvas, frequently looking up to gaze at her reference pictures. Her room was still. The walls were painted a solid grey, cluttered with posters and her own artwork. Her bed was neatly made, a victorian looking canopy hanging above it. She sat with her back to the door, form hunched over her current canvas. That was until...

"Mom said make me something to eat!" Y/n flinched as little fingers pulled her headphones from her ears, making her accidentally place a long stroke of blue across her canvas.

She turned slowly, glaring at her little brother Marcus as he simple stood there with a satisfied grin.

"I'm going to kill you." Y/n said softly. Marcus erupted in a smile and fit off giggles  as y/n chased him over to her bed, violently tickling him as she writhed and thrashed.

"You still hungry?? huh? huh??" She joked, still tickling him.

"No!" He cried as y/n picked him up over her shoulders. As she was walking him to the door, she heard the sound of a car outside. Turning to the window, she watched as a car pulled up to the moving truck across the street.

Putting Marcus down, she walked over to her desk again, Marcus coming to join her as they watched the doors of the car open.

A woman stepped out the drivers seat, then she opened the back seat door for a little boy, he looked around Marcus' age. Then finally a boy stepped out of the passenger seat. He had blue locs and face tattoos. Y/n watched as he stretched his back out, then he looked up their way. 

this is window is on the second floor across the street, there's no way he can see me.

But sure enough it seemed like he was staring right into her soul. Then finally he turned away, following his family into the house.

"Let's get you something to eat lil man." she said after a moment of silence.

___