72. Fear Us

The next morning the royal family departed but Vaera and Rhaenyra and their children were not a part of it.

''I've asked them to have wine ready for you on the ship. To help you sleep." Alicent remarked putting a blanket over Viserys he groaned in pain ''I'm so sorry. Viserys...'

''We will speak no more of it.' Viserys hissed. "Where is my Vaera? Is she here?'

"I don't know." Alicent spat. "I'm sure she will make her presence known."

+

''Fire is such strange power. Everything that House Targaryen possesses is owed to it. Yet it has cost us both what we loved. Perhaps the Velaryons knew the truth of it.'' Rhaenyra remarked as her father sailed home.

''The sea is the better ally. Fire is a prison. The sea offers an escape.''

''A perversion of justice. The young prince... defiled. An outrage." Larys remarked limping up to Alicent

''Indeed.'' Alicent agreed softly

''If it's an eye you want to balance the scales, I am your servant.'' Larys offered

''That will not be necessary. But your devotion has not gone unnoticed. These are dangerous times. The day will doubtless come when I require such a friend.'' Alicent told him softly. ''With not only skill but discretion as well.''

''I shall await your call, my Queen.''

"Vaera is going to be a problem. I want that sorted as well."

"Of course my queen." Larys agreed.

"I'm going to Casterly rock.' Vaera announced. "I'm taking Criston and I'm getting justice."

"Your husband-'

"He left with his whores already. I'm handling unfinished business. Then I will be back at the capital." Vaera told them.

"what are you doing Vaera?" Daemon asked running a hand through her hair.

"I'm going to kill my husband, then the queen and her advisors. I'm going to give us back the power. No more bending for Alicent." Vaera told them.

"When have you bent to Alicent?" Rhaenyra countered.

"Nyra I'm going to need you to come home. The both of you. Once its done, things will change and I need you there." Vaera told them. "I need you to take the girls and Vizzy and meet us there."

"I will be there." Rhaenyra assured grabbing Vaera's hand. "I will protect Haezel and Aemma, and Vizzy with my life." Vaera nodded in thanks.

"Me as well." Daemon agreed.

"I will be off then." Vaera said kissing their cheeks.

"Wait." Rhaenyra said not letting go. ''I need you, Uncle.'' Rhaenyra told him as he leaned back against the stone wall. ''We cannot face the greens alone let us find our blood just as aegon the conqueror did with his sisters with you as my husband and prince consort my claim would not be so easily challenged the valeryan's are of the sea but you and I we are made of fire we have always been meant to burn together.' Rhaenyra declared.

"Ohh scandalous!" Vaera declared. "But I'm handling them." Vaera said confidently. 

'' We could not marry unless Laenor were dead.'' Daemon reminded her

''I know.''

"It's murder central around here. This is when the fangs come out." Vaera added with a cheeky grin.

+

''I've heard about your exploits in the Step stones, Ser Qarl. Said to be a knight of remarkable skill.'' Daemon remarked.

''You flatter me, m'lord.''

''But alas, common-born. You're a landless knight with a lord's taste.'' Daemon told him, hood pulled up high over his head.

''Ser Laenor's been kind to me.''

''Do you know... there are places across the Narrow Sea... where it doesn't matter what a man's name is? Only how much gold he possesses.' Daemon told him vaguely.

''What are you asking of me, m'lord?''

''A quick death. One with witnesses.'' Qarl scoffed but Daemon put a pouch of coin in his hand.

''I will not be a tyrant. And rule through terror.'' Rhaenyra assured.

''A tyrant rules only through terror.'' Daemon agreed ''If the King isn't feared, he is powerless. If you are to be a strong queen, you must cultivate love and respect, yes, but your subjects must fear you.''

"They will. They will love and fear us both. You handle Laenor. I'm taking down the queen." Vaera declared.

+

'' Who let you in here? Why are you in my father's hall?'' Laenor asked when he came upon Qarl.

''You have always looked down on me.'' Qarl remarked drawing his blade.

'I do love Laenor.'' Rhaenyra told daemon softly.

"That's more than I can say about Tyon." Vaera scoffed. "I hope he screams and bleeds..."

''Then grant him this kindness. Set him free.'' Daemon told her confidently he smirked down at Vaera. She was sunshine but piss her off and a darkness was released. A darkness that looked very much like Daemon's own rage.

''You forget yourself.'' Laenor spat facing off against him.

''My lord. Please!'' his squire cried out but Laenor pushed him back. ''I'll alert the guards!'' he declared scurrying off.

'' This will cost Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys their only remaining child. And the realm will whisper that I was somehow responsible.'' Rhaenyra remarked.

''Let them whisper.'' Vaera told her confidently.

''No!" Rhaenys declared as a body burnt beyond recognition but Laenors necklace adorned around his neck. It was her son, no doubt in her mind, she dropped before him.

''How did you let this happen? In my fսcking hall? Tell me!'' Corlys shouted

''We will know the truth of it and our enemies won't.'' Daemon said smugly.

''They will fear what else we might be capable of. ''

"They haven't seen anything yet." Vaera assured.

Laenor sails off into the night, head shaved but free of all duties. As Rhaenyra married Daemon. New love in an old flame.

Haezel and Jace held hands as Baela and Rhaena watched the union form. Aemma leaned back into Vaera and Luke stared up at Vaera, Vaera held Vizzy up on her hip as he watched intently.

"My uncle is my father now?" Luke asked.

"Yes." Vaera agreed. "Strange I know but Daemon is wonderful. He will keep you safe and love you like his own. I promise."

"I miss Ser Gael." Luke whispered as the ceremony went on and Vaera knelt before him.

"I miss him and Harwin too. I'm going to avenge them both." Vaera told him and Luke put a hand on her stomach.

"Be careful. I want another cousin." Luke told her and Vaera kissed his cheek.

"Of course, careful is my middle name, don't you know?" Vaera mused.

"Really?" Luke asked.

"No, I'm trouble but I will be careful." Vaera assured. She looked back at Daemon and Rhaenyra and they looked really happy. Vaera hadn't seen Rhaenyra smile like that since Gael and Harwin were here. Vaera would avenge them and take down the patriarchy in the process.

"Congratulations Nyra." Vaera said hugging her tight.