Ch. 18

(TW: Attempted/simple assault)

I missed Hange's erratic and kind nature. I missed the life the Scouts lived, with all its structure and chaos, its destruction and beautiful camaraderie, and everything else in between. I missed Levi in a capacity I still didn't fully understand. Hell, I even missed the abundance of tea I drank there - that one admittedly wasn't in my typical rotation here, though I did grab a box to try and fill that void last time I was at the grocery store. I was attempting to make some when Violet crept up on me in the kitchen.
"Hi, Vi," I greeted her without turning around.
"How do you do that?!" She asked incredulously.
"What, pick up on you prowling over like a house cat? Call it a sixth sense."
She gave a lackluster giggle and leaned on the counter closest to her. She didn't say anything else, but I saw her fidgeting with her hands out of my peripheral.
When she fell quiet after that, I put my tea bag in to steep and turned around to face her. "Is there anything in particular I can do for you?"
Violet looked up at me with apologetic eyes before changing the subject quickly. "Are you making... tea? Since when do you drink tea?"
"Since now. It's like, good for you and stuff," I defended a bit stiffly. "Don't think changing the subject is going to be that easy."
She took a breath and twirled a piece of her hair between her fingers. "Okay, so don't be mad..."
"As most great conversations begin."
"Attie, seriously. So don't be mad because you know I only did it to look out for you and maybe help a little bit."
Now she'd piqued my interest and elicited a feeling of dread. I didn't say anything else but pressed her to continue with the look on my face.
"Do you remember that guy that came over a few weekends ago with everyone from my job? Jason?"
I immediately knew where this was going and spun back around to finish preparing my cup.
"Oh, Attie, come on. Don't be like that!"
"Bye, Vi," I called over my shoulder, knowing fully well she wouldn't take that lying down but hoping she would anyway.
"Astrid. Seriously."
Hitting me with the full name? I turned back painfully slowly, rolling my eyes but allowing her to continue.
"I just- I noticed you guys were having a good time at that last get together. And you haven't been out on a date in so long..."
"That's by choice, Vi," I clarified. "Sure, if it's who I'm thinking of, he was fine. Nice enough and all that. But romantically?" I extended a hand out, rocking it from side to side in a so-so kind of gesture.
"But how do you know? Like really know if you don't try?"
"Because I do," I took a drink from my cup. It was okay - not anywhere as good as anything I'd gotten from Levi. I'd say it was maybe even on par with Hange's, which prompted another twinge of sadness.
"Or maybe..." Violet suggested. "Maybe you can give it a go. As a favor to me."
"How is that a favor to you?"
"Because I love you, Attie. And I want you to be happy. I know you've had a rough time of it in the not-so-distant past and I just want you to be okay again."
I took a deep breath and collected myself before continuing. Her way of showing it might be more on the unconventional side, but I knew in my heart that Violet was just trying to help.
"I need you to understand that I am very much single by my own accord, not anyone else's," I began, watching her face fall. "But... if it means you don't try to play matchmaker ever again, I'll take this one."
"Ever?" She sounded appalled. "Attie, surely you can't-"
"Violet," I pronounced firmly. "Ever is my one and only counter condition. You can take it or leave it."
Vi wrinkled her nose at me, but after a few minutes agreed. "Fine. If this one doesn't work out and you want to be by yourself forever, that is entirely your right. But you do have to give it an honest try."
"Sure, sure."
"Perfect! I think he should be hitting you up tonight."
"Perfect," I repeated back with an exaggerated and inauthentic smile. "Cannot wait."
She clicked her tongue at me. "You're impossible."
Like clockwork and as Violet had warned, her coworker sent me a text later that evening. I remembered him fairly well; he was the least rowdy of the crew that had joined us a few weeks ago. He had brown hair and eyes and spent the better part of the night talking to me rather than slamming beers and playing their wild drinking games. Jason had been very kind to me and we had pleasant conversation, but there were far from what I'd call sparks flying between us. Still, because it was him and our last interaction had gone well, when he suggested meeting for a few drinks that same night at a casual bar near our house, I agreed. I was generally more of a 'meet for coffee' than alcohol when it came to dates, but being that there weren't any cafes open at this hour and I wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible, I bent that general rule. Just this once, I assured myself as I hurried to get ready.