Ch. 44

"No?" His voice was thick with emotion he was trying to disguise. "What the hell do you mean, 'no'?"
Levi's arms were still around me, one of his hands resting on my head but the sharp turn this discussion took made me quickly remove myself from his hold. I sat up straight, crossing my legs in front of me. "I, uh– I know how it sounds, but when they broke down all the details for me, it really isn't as bad as you think."
"'Isn't as bad as I think'?" He repeated back at me incredulously. "Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?"
I didn't answer that one; I hated that he was right and I wasn't about to let him know it.
"Ace, you are entirely too bright to even consider doing what they're proposing."
"It's just— I just— we have to try. They're convinced this is the last shot we have and if we just go along enough to show them it won't work–"
"And in the process, casually compromising their own life, the lives of other scouts? You?! All of that to show them how ridiculous this idea is instead of telling them? I refuse to assist them in killing themselves."

He wasn't getting it. He wasn't getting me.

"I can't let them go it alone!" I finally forced out, my voice a little shaky but full of resolve. "I know it seems like an all but guaranteed death wish. And it likely won't go any way near what they're hoping for. But they're my best friend, my family, and I can't sit back while they try to take this on on their own."
The tension between us was thick. I hadn't intended to get so worked up but it felt as though I wasn't getting through any other way.
Levi sat up, leaning against the headboard of his bed. He intentionally avoided eye contact but when his gaze met mine, it had a distinct glint to it I hadn't seen before.

"Ace," he sounded almost pleading. "Please... don't do this. Please don't go."
That was like a punch straight to the gut. I closed my own eyes in an effort to keep it together, taking a shallow breath.
"Levi, it's going to be fine. I promise. We'll be back here before you're done cleaning your office."
"I somehow doubt that."
His usual snark oddly brought comfort, making me chuckle to myself. "I will be back to you before you know it. Okay?"
He huffed in reply.
"Since you understandably don't sound like you'll be participating," I continued, "it'd be much appreciated if you could try and get any intel from Erwin on his way out in the morning – or at the very least distract him while we make our escape."
Levi rolled his eyes at me, liking this topic less and less but reining in his more negative opinions. "I'll see what I can do."
"I appreciate you," I affirmed, leaning forward until I was hovering over him, pressing my lips to the tip of his nose.
He scoffed again but reached up, taking my face in his hand and kissing my lips. In one swift motion, he'd propped himself up on his side and ushered me down onto the bed beside him. I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck as we shared a string of sweet kisses, breaking away only to hold him tightly against me. One of his arms made their way around my waist while his free hand rubbed up and down my back. We stayed like this for what felt like a brief eternity and I was in no rush to go anywhere else.
"It's gonna be fine," I whispered one more time before giving in to sleep.

For the first time in a long time, I woke up the next morning alone. I'd become accustomed to being awake before Levi, who was finally resting for more than a handful of hours at night, so it was noticeably off to be the one left here again. He must've taken my ask of occupying Erwin very seriously to have taken off so soon; there was still next-to-no sunlight outside. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and stretching my arms out. As I got up and ready for the day, I could hear my heartbeat in my ears but I refused to give into that budding anxiety just yet.

Headquarters was quiet, still snoozing as I stepped into the hallway. I could see a little more clearly now that the morning sun shone onto the corridor floors. I'd wanted to at least say goodbye to Levi before we left, but discretion was crucial to the matter at hand here so I didn't want to go sniffing around too close to Erwin if I didn't have to. I'll be back before he knows it, I repeated in my head, continuing on to the stables.