Ch. 37

The pub was cozy inside and about as busy as I would expect for this time of day. I was able to slip in with minimal attention and quickly found a seat on the furthest end of the bar. I wasn't very well versed on social understandings around here but if I was going to be convincing at this, I had to really commit to the part where I could. I ordered a soda water with some kind of fruit added to look like I belonged without the wicked repercussions alcohol had on me and smiled at the barkeep when he handed me my glass.
I turned around with my drink in hand, scanning the potential suitors slowly. Those that met my gaze would puff their chests and waggle their eyebrows back, which I pretended to encourage with sweet smiles in return. The first one to make his way over to me was a young guy, likely a newer join. He had a slender build, an elaborate pompadour, and kind enough brown eyes. I immediately knew he would be too low on the food chain to give me anything of value, but I entertained it enough to get a little practice in and hopefully take the edge off.

"I'm sorry for being so forward," he tripped a little on his words as they came out despite the obvious cool act he was trying to put on. "But you are gorgeous and I had to introduce myself. I'm Emmett, and you are?"
I fought the urge to make a face and smiled coyly at him instead. "Hello, Emmett. It's very nice to meet you – my name is Lina."
Lina? Where did that come from? I wondered in my head as soon as I said it but prayed it was convincing enough – I hadn't put much thought into that part.
"Lina," he repeated slowly with a nod of his head. "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Can I buy you a drink?"
"I think I'm okay on that for now," I raised my glass to show him my relatively untouched mocktail. "I'll happily accept the company, though."
He beamed at me, ordering something for himself and leaning on the bar beside me. I glanced over his shoulder to see a group of his peers staring with looks of shock on their faces and stifled a snicker. Once he got his drink, he lifted it to his lips before speaking again. "I've never seen you around before."
"You must be fairly popular if you're familiar with each and every face around here," I gibed while trying to think of a convincing reason on my feet; I probably should've invested more in a backstory. "I don't get out much, so I thought I'd try to change that."
He seemed to like this rationale. "Well it must be my lucky day to run into you on such an occa–"

"Private," a hand came down on his shoulder mid-sentence, effectively cutting off the rest of his words. It belonged to a man who looked closer to my age now, stepping forward and coming into view, making Emmett's face fall. "Not getting into any trouble over here I hope."
"N-no, Captain!" Emmett said, his voice shaky and obviously rattled. "Not at all. Just–"
"Just toeing the line, it seems," the nameless captain said matter-of-factly. "Let's leave the lovely lady alone before you do something that might cost you your rank or pay. Or worse."
I pulled my eyebrows together slightly; that definitely sounded like an insult to me but I put a lid on it.
"Yes sir," Emmett sheepishly smiled at me, mouthed the word 'Sorry', and walked back over to his friends who erupted in laughter.
His superior lingered, his gaze looking all over me before finally meeting my eye. "Sorry about him. They're good kids but they don't always think."
"Oh, I don't mind," I replied more kindly than I wanted to, keeping up the facade. "If the others are anything like him, you've got good ones on your hands."

"I can't say I blame him, though," he asserted a little more aggressively, running his tongue along his teeth and smirking at me. "You are a looker."
"Why thank you. You aren't too bad yourself." I bit back my desire to gag. This guy was taller than the last, his dirty blonde hair cut relatively short except for the longer section he wore in a side part and shifty eyes that kept averting quite obviously to my chest. I'd noticed a simple wedding band on the hand he'd clamped down on his poor soldier which only intensified the repulsion I felt for this creep. I couldn't deny, though, that his rank implied he was slightly closer to information of value for me than the last, so I bit the bullet and continued along with it.
"Mm, beauty and brains," he inhaled deeply, obviously thinking his line was clever and reaching for my hand. "I'm Captain Walter Ludwig of the Military Police Brigade. And you are?"
Going to be sick. "Hello Walter, or do you prefer Captain Ludwig? I'm Lina Kuhn."
His eyes glazed over with obvious desire at my willingness to play along and pretending to feed his ego. He lifted my hand to his lips and gave it a much-too-hard kiss. "They both sound like music to my ears coming from your pretty little mouth, so I'll let that one be dealer's choice. What do you say we move this party somewhere more... suitable for my status? And yours, as long as you're with me."
I hummed, trying to disguise my disgusted expression by scrunching up my face. "I would be honored. It must be my lucky day."
He continued to hold onto my hand and helped me down from my seat. As he turned around and led the way out, I heard him mutter under his breath, "I'm thinking it's going to be mine, too."