Ch. 30

Hange was quick to excuse themselves as soon as Levi began unofficially inspecting my cleaning. They were not about to have him shift his sights to them and I couldn't say I blamed them.
"Don't start," I cut him off as soon as we were alone. "I'm not one of your squad members. If you want to critique someone's work, go find one of them."
"I'm not... critiquing," he set down my clean clothes and ran a finger across the top of my dresser.
"Levi!" I half-laughed, relieved I'd dusted that earlier. "I mean it. Leave me alone."
"I couldn't if I wanted to."
I rolled my eyes, quickly realizing I was still sitting cross-legged in just my underwear under my thin blanket. "Would you mind, uh–," I extended my hand for the clothes on my desk chair that was just barely out of my reach.
There was a calculated glint in his eyes when they met mine. Levi picked up my top and pants in one hand and held them out to me. With a small sigh of relief, I reached out to accept – just for him to withdraw them from my grasp at the very last second and take them with him as he doubled back to the other side of the room. He swiftly folded them up and set them on the dresser behind him.

I was instantly annoyed. "What the f–"
"You said you don't like outside clothes in your bed," he rationalized as if it were obvious, crossing his arms.
"Correct."
"And you're presently in bed, so."
"But I need them to get up out of bed," I answered plainly. Levi's face didn't change as he shrugged his shoulders in response.
"So what you're saying then is, if I want them," I brought one of my hands up to the edge of the blanket that rested on my chest, "I have to come get them?"
"It's time to get up anyway." He faintly smirked at me, intrigued by the corner he thought he'd backed me into.
I dropped my linen without thinking twice, revealing my bare breasts. His crooked smile fell and his eyes visibly widened. He tried to appear unbothered but I heard him take in a sharp breath. I smiled back. "Fine."
I pulled my blanket off the rest of the way, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed one at a time. I could feel Levi's eyes still locked onto me so I decided to have some fun with that, taking my sweet time stretching and readying myself to actually arise. When I got to my feet at last, my eyes met and held his as I crossed the room as indifferent as possible. His gaze wavered momentarily when he attempted to dip down over my body but fought to refrain. His expression looked overwhelmed, like he had so much he wanted to say or do but unsure how to act on any of it. I closed the space between us, almost chest to chest with him now, hands at my sides.

Levi's breathing was shallow and his expression was controlled. Because he seemed to be exhibiting such self restraint, it was something of a shock when I felt his hand on my hip.
"Ah ah," I chided him quietly, reaching behind him for my outfit and leaning into his ear as I spoke. "I'm simply getting my clothes like you told me to. Remember? You wouldn't help me with that, so I think I can manage it just fine on my own from here."
His scoffed under his breath, his hold on me tightening.
"Now Captain," I purred with a cheeky grin. "I know you know how to take direction better than that."
He rolled his eyes at me and withdrew his hand reluctantly. I brought my clothes to my chest and turned around, leaning to rest my back against him.
"Thank you," I followed up innocently, intentionally pressing my ass against his crotch.
"Ace," he hissed angrily, reaching out to hold my arm. "Please... don't do that."
I simpered back at him, obliging with his wishes as he'd begrudgingly adhered to mine. Walking back over to my bed and sat down, I prepared to pull on my pant legs when I stopped and looked back at him; Levi's ever persistent eye of course had followed me all the while. I took in his gorgeous but impassive features and coyly raised an eyebrow at him.
"What?" He forced out, sounding a bit self conscious from my lingering stare.
"Well," I set the pants down beside me, instead sitting up on my knees, "What else is on your agenda this afternoon?"
He maintained his coolness. "Mostly paperwork since those kids are otherwise occupied for the time being."
"Oh."
"What about you?" At first I thought maybe he wasn't following my uncharacteristic lead after all, but his demeanor shifted as he walked over to me. The corner of his mouth pulled just enough as Levi reached out to cup my face.
"Hm. Well considering you handled the last task on my list for me," I pretended to think about it. "I'm pretty open as it stands. But I'm sure I can find something to get into."
"You know, I actually have something I could really use your help with...," he replied cooly. He leaned down to finally kiss me, his hand on my face reaching over to wrap gently around my neck as his lips pressed against mine. I felt him pause and pull away unexpectedly, his gaze dropping to inspect my necklace he must've felt, taking it between his fingers. When the realization set in, his eyes softened and he kissed me again, somehow even more hungrily than before. If I wasn't sitting on my knees, I was sure they would've given out altogether. I boldly grabbed a hold of his belt and used it to bring him even closer to me. I felt him smile against my mouth.