Ch. 29

I used Hange's presence and the work they'd been looking over with Levi to provide me a breakaway point, excusing myself before either of them would really notice to retrieve my clothes from downstairs. I was extra vigilant on my way down, eyes scouring every corner I passed for Mike, though I realized this level of scrutiny was a bit silly; his towering stature wasn't one I could easily miss. No one was around as I grabbed my abandoned basket and filled it with my damp clothing so I breathed a sigh of relief, realizing I was in the clear. I stepped through an open door leading outside and found countless rows of clothes lines.

Choosing one nearby that had a sizable gap, I got to work hanging my things one at a time. I put up my towels, a loose sheet, and things like shirts, pants, etc. on the higher line, using the coverage they provided to help hide my more intimates as I hung them to dry, too. Realistically, I had to have done this hundreds of times by now, but something about having my bras and panties on full display still felt a bit awkward. I stood up when I'd finally emptied my basket and turned to go back inside when I stopped dead in my tracks. Just behind me stood Petra, eyes gleaming back at me and clothes of her own in her hands, too.

"Jesus," I muttered under my breath at the surprise. Did everyone around here move with silent, catlike stealth? "Hey, Petra."
"Hi, Capt- Attie!" She caught herself, maintaining her almost constant cheeriness. "How are you?"
"I'm great. I see you're using your downtime to reset, too."
"Of course!" she quickly agreed, almost as if she was trying to sell me on that. "Have to be on top of my game."
I nodded. She was maybe a little much sometimes, but she meant well. I'd take a little excessive positivity as a nice balance to a serious downer the way Levi had a tendency to be.
"I certainly see that. Keep it up!" I smiled at her, stepping out of her way and continuing my route back inside.
"Hey, Attie," she called as I crossed the threshold. Her volume was just loud enough that had I been any further away, I probably wouldn't have heard her at all.
I doubled back slowly, seeing her sheepish expression as I joined her again. "What's up?"
"Can I maybe, uh... pick your brain about something?"

I was surprised at her question but eager to assist her however I could. "Sure thing, Petra. Is everything okay?"
"Yeah! I mean, kind of," she set her basket on the ground in front of her, picking out the pieces one at a time to hang up on the line. She was quiet for a few moments before she found the words to continue. "Can I ask you how you do it?"
I was admittedly puzzled at first. "How I do...?"
"This. All of this: the missions, the Scout Regiment life in general, the... titan part..."
Ah, I see where she was going with this now. Eld and Gunther's teasing probably had gotten to her at least a little bit, even if she wasn't going to admit that to them. "It's something that you'll only get better at with time. I know that isn't always guaranteed around here, but it's the truth. Keep working not only on yourself but with your team, too, and you'll find you adjust and learn new things all the time that help facilitate the process."
She gulped and gave a slow nod of her head, offering me a not-quite-convincing grin. "Attie," she started again after a minute, quiet still. When Petra spoke next, her voice barely came out as more than a whisper. "Don't you get scared?"
"Of course I do," I assured her. "We know and accept what we're getting into when we join the Scouts, sure, but we're human. Those feelings are more than valid. It's always a very real possibility, but you focus on it less the stronger and more capable you get."
I saw her shoulders relax a bit as she took a deep breath. "It gets better, you'll see."
She finished hanging the last of her items on the line and turned to face me. "Thank you. I really needed that."
"Of course. I'm always happy to help."
"So, in other news," she changed the subject, her tone noticeably lighter now. "You and Captain Levi...?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head at her, trying my best to come across indifferent. "I think you think about me and him more than either of us do."
"So there is an us?!" She squealed happily.
"No!" I fired back, trying to curb her excitement. "You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say your fascination with this feels a little bit like... projection?"
Her mouth fell open at my suggestion. She quickly caught herself after but not before I noticed a light blush on her cheeks.
"I can't say I blame you," I continued, trying to conceal my amusement. "He isn't totally unfortunate looking – if you're into the whole 'dark and brooding' thing. Plus, being Humanity's Strongest Soldier has to earn him points, too."
"Stop, please!" She forced out. "Okay, I get it!"
"Oh, so you don't like being on the receiving end of it, huh?"
"Not at all. I'm sorry. I didn't mean any offense. You guys just seem to... work together."
"Well we do," I teased. "All day almost every day at this point."
Petra made a face at me. "You know what I mean. The Captain seems... happier? When you're around."
I snorted. "Is that what that looks like to you?"
She sighed and shook her head.
"I'm only joking," I admitted in my follow up. "I'm really glad you think so. I'm just happy he seems to... tolerate me a bit better these days."
"If that's tolerance, I really can't wait to see what straight up friendship looks like!" she perked up again. "Or even lov-"
"Bye, Petra," I waved quickly and turned to walk away.