Ch. 36

Our trip out was relatively uneventful and we made better time than I expected. The sun was high in the sky, only barely beginning its descent in the West when we arrived at the modest and relatively discreet cabin. Upon our arrival, we fed, watered, and stabled our horses, collected our belongings, and made our way inside. I was hoping my sanitation-obsessed significant other would allow something of a buffer before he wanted to hit the ground running (and scrubbing with soap and water), but as soon as I opened the door and was instantly greeted with the stuffy, dusty air inside, I knew we were in for it right away.
"Ugh," Levi scorned, abhorrence dripping in his tone. "Absolutely disgusting."
"I somehow already knew you were going to think so," I quipped back, wrinkling my nose. "But I can't say I disagree."
He turned to provide his squad members guidance while I picked up my things and started upstairs to unload as much as I could. I hung a right once I got to the top and found a quaint room with two beds in it. I set my bags down and immediately groaned to myself; something told me Petra was going to be a little extra insufferable about her "Are they or aren't they?" in quarters this close but there wasn't much I could do about that now. I opened the wooden armoire nearby and hung up my more delicate and out-of-character pieces I'd be using tomorrow. Other sets of feet could be heard coming up the stairs now, and I was certain that Levi would be in to scope out what we were working with next.

When one stopped just before the doorway, I threw out my greeting first, turning around after. "Hey– oh, hey Gunther! Sorry, I was expecting–"
"Hey Attie. I figured as much, but I have... something of a favor to ask."
"Oh? Sure, what's up?"
"As much as I think Eld is great and all, I don't exactly want to... well, the other room up here only has one– and I just..."
I stifled my laughter, nodding as I pieced together what he was getting at. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even bother checking out the other rooms up here. Um... yeah, I'm sure Captain Levi and I can figure something out."
"There's a chair," Levi deadpanned, drawing both of our attention over to him. "That's good enough for me."
"Oh, okay. Great! Plus I'll be out tomorrow for an... undetermined amount of time, so we can take shifts if need be."
Gunther was extra appreciative, even helping me take the clothes I'd already hung up and relocating them to the bedroom across the way. "Thank you so much again. You're the best."
"I don't know about that," I jested. "But I'm always happy to help when I can."
He nodded and promptly exited the room, leaving me alone again to continue squaring my things away. When I finished and turned to leave myself, I found Levi propped up in the doorway, arms crossed over his chest and cleaning attire perfectly in place.
"You move fast."
"This place is disgusting. Wouldn't be able to do anything else with it like this," he insisted dryly.
"Well sure," I agreed with a smirk. "I can take care of in here if you'd like, then see what you need next."
His eyes lingered on mine for a minute, but finally accepted with a bow of his head, seeing himself out and resuming where he'd left off.

The rest of the evening passed without much fanfare, Levi's required cleaning actually serving as a nice diversion to bring the day to a close. Fortunately Petra had also settled in downstairs, too, so any commentary she had about our sleeping accommodations were kept to a minimum with the exception of the occasional pointed glance. After dinner, they lit a fire in the fireplace and were engaging in quiet chitchat when I excused myself to retire for the evening. I'd hoped doing so prior to Levi would minimize any additional attention sent our way. I changed into my pajamas and had just crawled into bed when I heard the door to the bedroom open and close, making my lead a short lived one. I was facing the window and didn't immediately turn around but I heard him shuffling about as he got undressed and ready to turn in, too. The bed dipped as he climbed in beside me and I promptly felt his hand on my hip.
"Mmh mmh," I rebuked sarcastically. "You said that chair over there was all yours."
Levi was quiet and paused briefly before withdrawing his hand and sitting up. "You're absolutely right."
I reached up and grabbed a hold of him before he could turn away further. "No, I'm joking."
He scoffed but laid back down anyway, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me against him as he kissed my head. "You're not funny."
"Yeah, I know."