Ch. 38

TW: This chapter includes descriptions of sexual misconduct/assault. Story resumes in the next chapter should you choose to pass here

* * * * *

It didn't come as a surprise that like most things, the Military Police HQ was far more elaborate than what we had in the Scout Regiment. The man I was unfortunate to be sharing my evening with gave a nod of his head to the younger soldiers who manned the main gate and entryway, granting him and I passage without a single word. I kept my head down and continued moving forward; there was no way they could possibly know who I was but I wanted to solidify that distance as much as possible. We walked through the ornate corridors for a few minutes, taking careful note of the route we used to get here in my head: first left from the front door, straightaway past three points of intersection, one sharp right when we finally arrived at our destination. Walter dropped my hand to dig into his pocket and brought it back out holding a ring of keys, which he used to unlock the door.
This office was huge, the walls adorned with art pieces and showcasing decorative moldings. A large mahogany desk sat in front of a full bookcase carved into the wall with a couch and sitting area in the opposite corner. Even in the dark, I was shocked at the sheer nature of it all. After a few moments of fiddling with a couple lamps, light began to illuminate the space around me, making it all that much more impressive. I could hear him walking over toward me again and I spun around quickly so he couldn't get bold with my back turned.

"It sure is something, huh?" He asked when he finally reached me, looking around.
"It is amazing," I affirmed with a grin. "It can't be that bad working all that overtime if it's in a place like this, right?"
He paused to piece together his response. "It could definitely be worse, I guess. I think it's about to get a whole lot better, though."
He zeroed in on me again, his eyes taking on an unsettling gaze as he closed the distance between us, putting a hand on my hip and walking me backwards. He hastily pressed his lips to mine again as we went and when I felt the edge of his desk behind me, he helped lift me up a bit so I could sit down on it. I crossed my legs and turned them to one side, firmly creating and keeping some semblance of a barrier between us. When he finally broke away from my lips, he began kissing and trying to suck at my neck. I finally let some of the contempt I'd been hiding all night seep through, digging my nails into his shoulders and letting a hiss escape my lips, though he seemed to take this as some kind of rough encouragement. He broke away abruptly, clicking his tongue as he surprisingly took a step back. "I'm sorry, I guess I should pace myself. Really savor the moment, you know? You just... make it really damn hard."

I forced out a chuckle and twirled a piece of hair in my hand, getting down from the tabletop. "I'm sorry, I'll have to work on that."
"Or don't. I don't mind it," he chuckled at his own joke, walking over to a side table. He picked up a whiskey decanter and swirled the liquid inside it around. There were a couple glasses stacked on top of each other that he set down on coasters before opening the glass container.
"Shit," Walt muttered, stopping the process he'd begun. He peered back at me, conflicted look on his face. "No ice."
"Oh," I murmured, taking on a sympathetic expression.
"I could find a subordinate to fetch some for me," he continued, seeming to weigh his options. "Though it'd probably take just as long to go down there myself to get some."
This could work to my advantage. "Oh? Well, what's your preference?" I took slow steps toward him, a small smirk on my lips. When I finally reached him, I placed a hand on his upper arm, leaning in closer. "You should always get exactly what you like."
His eyes were wide and he gave a dumbstruck smile with a rapid nod of his head. He cleared his throat and pulled me against him by my hips, stopping only inches from my mouth. "I like the way you think. I will be right back."

He let go of me to pick up a small metal bucket from the end table and took off for the door. I heard it click shut behind him and as soon as I was alone, I darted straight for his desk as quickly and quietly as I could. I knew my time was limited; I had no idea the layout of this labyrinth but I couldn't imagine wherever he was headed was all that far. The heavy desk had a set of drawers on each side with 3 vertical compartments. I figured it would logistically make the most use of my limited time to work from the bottom drawer up, closing them all at once when I was finished.
Those on the left didn't yield much besides a handful of loose documents unrelated to any kind of budget or fiscal information, some random trinkets, and bits of trash. I hurried over to the other side to repeat the process, unconsciously holding my breath as I kept checking and double checking the door. As soon as I yanked open the bottom drawer on the right, however, I found a book inside. It was a bit bigger than the size of my hand and bound in a dark brown leather with a metal latch closure. I picked it up in a hurry, opening it carefully to the first page.
As I was rushing, I could only scan it for any significant terms and fortunately for me, I immediately noticed dates, names of some prominent MP and Royal Government members, numerical figures, and relevant notes in between. I flipped through the pages, finding the collection was expansive and spanned at least over the last 6 months. A feeling of elation came over me as I shut the drawer and closed the book, shoving it into my bag. Did I know exactly what I'd gotten my hands on? Not in the slightest, but it was something that made this hellish evening worth it; I could only hope it was enough to call the mission as a whole a success.