Ch. 31

We followed Erwin back to his office, Levi walking ahead with him while Hange and I trailed a little further behind. Neither of the men turned around to look at us, instead electing to speak quietly among themselves.
"I think you're in trouble," Hange commented, still holding onto my arm as we walked.
"I think that's somehow your fault," I snarked back as our steps fell in sync.
"My fault?! Oh please, Stroid. I'll give it to you, it was a good – albeit awkward– one. It's the timing that didn't quite land."
I rolled my eyes. I hated that they were right. "I actually don't know that it was that 'good' at all. I'd never outwardly acknowledged... whatever this is like that, kidding around or otherwise."
"Awe, so I'm the first?!" They exclaimed in a hushed tone. "Lucky me!"

I smirked at them, shaking my head. We'd finally reached our destination and Erwin opened his door, holding it for us as we entered. Just as he had during our last sit down here, Levi walked in first without acknowledging us again. He resumed his previous post on the seat furthest away, too. This go around, however, Hange didn't give me an option in my former seat as they broke away from me and hurried to sit on the other open end, leaving only the middle. I sat down slowly, trying but failing to sneak a peek at Levi's face.
Erwin was the last to find his place, settling in behind his desk before taking a breath and making eye contact with each of us one at a time. "Thank you all for agreeing to this. I know it's a bit abrupt but time is something of the essence here."
I smiled at him and waited diligently to hear what was coming next. As usual, I could get zero read on the situation and Hange's interest was visibly piqued to my left.
"In an unsurprising development, the latest rounds of discussions regarding defense spending has not entirely gone in our favor. There's a large push to restructure the budget to allow us far less than we were anticipating."
Before I could respond further, the disgruntled squad leader joined in.
"No!" Hange contested firmly, their irritation evident. "They constantly do this. We always have to 'make it work' but they always make that next to impossible!"
"No disagreement here," Erwin assured them. "But I am glad to hear that you're less-than-enthused about that, too. Fortunately it will take some time to complete their proposals, but it'll undoubtedly be submitted by the end of next quarter at the latest."

He'd lost me, but Hange was still enthusiastically tuned in.
"Unfortunately for us, their guidance to cease any nonessential movements directly conflicts with your training, Astrid."
Ah, I thought to myself. Here was the other shoe that was dropping. "I understand, Commander. I appreciate the opportunity all the same."
He gave me a faint but formal smile. "Unfortunately for them, if I'm going to completely restructure our operations, it's going to be in response to finalized orders. This is where the three of you come in. We need to deliver results that will sway them to see things more in our favor and we need them sooner rather than later."
Hange was squealing with delight before he even finished his thought. "Drastic! We need something drastic! Are you saying–?!"
He put his hand up before they took off completely. "Within reason, Hange. You're not getting entirely free range. But something to formally present to show them how wrong they are."
Hange was already past the point of reigning in, their eyes wide and a devious smile on their face, strumming their fingers together as their mind likely took off a million miles a minute. Erwin side glanced at Levi who didn't seem to acknowledge him before turning his attention to me again. "The three of you have proven to be an effective unit together and yield results, which is why I'm turning to you – well, that and the fact that Astrid's post is one of the things most directly affected."

"Absolutely, sir," I assured him, much more toned down than our favorite mad scientist. But I quickly realized how self-serving that likely came across, clarifying after, "Less about me and more in the interest of the Scout Regiment as a whole."
"Agreed!!" Hange chimed in again, "Except largely in an effort to preserve Stroid's position, too!"
I shook my head at them and tried once again to steal a look from the remaining member of our trio, fortunately seeing his steely grey eyes peering back at me now. I gave him a quick and discreet grin which he naturally didn't return. He was no longer glaring at me though, which I was going to take as something of a positive step.
"I'm happy to provide any resources and assistance I can to help you on this project. However, as this is something we're wanting to stay relatively under wraps until we have solid findings in hand, it would be in all of our best interests to keep it on a need-to-know basis. With the exception of your own chosen team or members to help carry out whatever you might need," Erwin clarified.
Hange nudged me with their elbow. "Moblit is going to be SO thrilled!"
I stifled a laugh and Erwin cleared his throat, almost as if he were trying to do the same. "I'll let you get started on your plan of action. Short of anything completely unrealistic or unnecessarily dangerous, consider permission from me granted."
I heard a scoff from beside me, likely interpreting that last part being pointed at them as I had. We thanked the Commander for his time and the opportunity and were promptly on our way. Hange was already rattling off a lengthy list of possible courses of action for us to take before we'd even made it down the passageway so I didn't immediately notice that Levi was missing until we neared the mess hall.