Double The Despair

*Ding Dong Bing Bong*

"Alright! It's time for what you've all been waiting for- the class trial!" For the third time Mikukuma comes over those speakers with those horrid words, "Please follow the music to the assembly point! You'll know it when you see it! From there, you'll be escorted to a delightful class trial! Hehehe! See you all there!"

Kanade, Kohane, and I end up being the first one's into the meet up room. Surprisingly, Mafuyu is the next one to arrive. Leo/need and wxs show up eventually each surrounding a Tenma sibling with watery eyes and stuffy noses. Honami and Ichika look like they're ready to burst at any second but are keeping themselves together for Saki's sake.

"9... 8... 10... 11... we're missing 3. Who?" I ask, looking at Kohane and Kanade.

"Oh my god," Kohane exclaims in realization, "Akito! I- I was so focused on Toya I forgot about him! Oh my god oh my god I don't think anyone was taking care of him! I-"

The door slowly opens and Akito makes his way in. He looks green and tired. Minori and Haruka and standing behind him trying to make sure he doesn't fall over.

Kohane immediately runs up to him and tries her best to support him as much as she can considering how small she is.

I follow Kohane, concerned for Akito. Minori tries her best to explain the situation to Kohane.

"Um," Minori starts nervously, "We noticed Akito just kinda standing around on his own so we tried our best to make sure he was okay. He kept insisting he was okay so we just kinda ended up sitting with him the entire time making sure he didn't collapse or something. I'm sorry we weren't able to help all that much..."

"Hey, hey! Minori! It's okay! You tried your best!" I try to reassure her. She looks like she's about to start crying and I really don't want to add a third to the crying people in the room.

"Okay..." Minori accepts finally.

"Are you okay, Akito?" Kohane asks softly.

He just looks away.

The ground starts rumbling again and I begin the dread yet another ride in the elevator of death.

Mafuyu immediately starts for the elevator, Kanade following close behind before glancing back to make sure Kohane and Akito are okay.

The 3 remaining members of Leo/need get on and then wxs. Kohane and Akito get on and then the rest of us, Minori, Haruka, Kanade, and I get on after making sure the others get in safely.

The elevator starts creaking and we start going down once again.

As the doors creak open and once again I'm greeted by more crossed out faces. This time Shizuku, Shiho, and Toya have joined them. I take my place between Kanade and An's crossed out face once again.

"Welcome!" Mikukuma yells from her throne above us all, "Let's get this class trial started! 2 people were killed this time around!! What ever could have happened? I'm not complaining though! This turn of events has brought on double the despair!!"

"Anyway, why don't we begin with a basic explanation of the class trial!" Mikukuma continues, after no one responds to her opening, "During the trial, you'll present your arguments for who the culprit is, and vote for 'whodunnit'. Vote correctly, and only the blackened will be punished. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and that person will graduate from the academy! Also, refusing to vote will result in your death, so you better vote for someone! Now, let's get this crazy, awesome, crazy-awesome trial underway!"

Kanade decides to open this case by stating the facts, "So, we know that Toya and Shiho were killed at roughly the same time in the same place. Shiho was strangled, Toya was hit on the head."

Everyone is still silent. Almost everyone was affected in some way by these deaths. Finally someone gains the courage to speak.

"C-can we start with alibis," Honami asks.

I nod, "Well, Honami, Ichika, Saki, Kohane, and I were all together a good while before the murder. If that isn't enough, Kohane and I have been together since we woke up."

Honami confirms our story adding that she and the other Leo/need members had been together until Shiho left and they joined with our group.

"Haruka and I have been together since breakfast since both of us, especially Haruka, are still shaken from Shizuku and Airi's death. We're trying our best to push through it though!" Minori says in a strained yet happy voice.

Kanade looks away, "I was alone again... I was composing..."

"You know you're acting really suspicious, Kanade?" Mafuyu accuses.

"Huh?" Kanade asks.

"Well you're almost always on your own unless we're investigating, then once someone has died you feel the need to take the lead? You don't seem like the most reliable leader or even the leader type at all. Are you maybe hiding something?" Mafuyu asks.

"Hiding something? No... I-" Kanade cuts herself off and looks away.

"You aren't much better yourself," Kohane defends.

Kanade looks at Kohane, surprised.

"You don't even show up to investigations. You just show up when absolutely necessary," Kohane points out.

"Well, I try to stay out of everything as much as possible. I don't want to be here, so act like I'm not here. Kanade on the other hand, actively tries to lead everyone. Haven't you noticed her leading the direction the trials go in? It's almost as if she was..." Mafuyu turns to make eye contact with Kanade.

"The Mastermind."

"What? No! I- I wouldn't..." Kanade tries to say.

"That's enough!" I shout, "She did nothing but try to help! This is not the time for accusations!"

"Yeah!" Kohane shouts in agreement.

"Fine. I won't say another word for this whole trial," Mafuyu says. She pretends to zip her lips, then crosses her arms.

"Let's get back to the alibis," I say after a moment of silence.

"Um, well, at the time of the murder Nene, Rui, and I were going over lines. We invited Tsukasa but he insisted that he work on the props," Emu says.

"But I thought Tsukasa was in the kitchen at the time of the murder?" I ask.

"I- I was. I was but I started to get really hungry... I- I thought about inviting R-rui and Emu and Nene but I didn't want to bother them..." Tsukasa stutters out.

"Isn't that a little suspicious?" Minori asks, "To say you're so dedicated to setting up and then leave the second you get a little hungry? I'm really sorry, Tsukasa, but... did you really leave to go to the kitchen?"

"Of course I did! Why would I ever kill Toya?!" Tsukasa asks, offended.

I don't want to believe it was Tsukasa, but his story doesn't line up very well.

"Weren't there signs of a struggle?"