Chapter 18: Moving On Up

*New home up above*

*2 Years Later*

So, a lot can happen in two years including moving 13 hours away from a place you have known all your life as home. So, we did it once Luna turned 5 and our kids turned 7, we packed up our entire life and moved to Idaho Springs and got a new place and the kids started a new school and then Lauren and I had to get new jobs or move her business over too. It was easier for Lauren since she worked for herself that she could just be mobile. I on the other hand had to find a job when the kids were in school but still had to make a living, so I invested in two businesses that made me very happy. The first one was a diner that was local in the small town where I had the band help when they could. It was small but always busy that was open from 8am to usually around 4pm, then the other business is a bar about a ten-minute walk from the diner where it opens at 5pm till 11pm or midnight and the band also helps out there too. It was simple but just what we needed.

Now the kids are at school, Lauren is working and I'm at the diner. The diner is retro with the black and white checked tiles on the floor with rectangular windows with booths that line the entire window wall. The walls have music records hanging up and photos from our times on tour to make this homely for us. The counter is long and set along the front of the diner to the back and has stool set to it for the customers. There is a jukebox in the corner that plays mostly rock music, but we have changed it over time. In the back is where we keep the stock and supplies and also the kitchen where Natalie does most of the work with cooking all day.

It was a slow day but that just gives us the opportunity to mess around a little. I decided to just sweep around a little as we only have a couple customers in. I started sweeping as Xavier was behind the counter wiping it over till it was squeaking. Shane was sorting out the cutlery with cleaning them and putting them away and Natalie was sitting down with an elastic band. With Nat messing with the band, it sounded a bit like a bass guitar. I looked over to Shane who was already looking between us both and he grabbed two spoons and started making a beat on the counter like a drum. Xavier looked at all of us then at me and started making a sound with the cloth as I did with the broom and with just them sounds, we were making a beat happen. The customers that were in were watching us with smiles on their faces.

Fitz and the Tantrums – HandClap

You

Somebody save your soul
Cause you've been sinning in this city, I know
Too many troubles
All these lovers got you losing control
You're like a drug to me
A luxury, my sugar and gold
I want the good life
Every good night, you're a hard one to hold

'Cause you don't even know
I can make your hands clap
Said I can make your hands clap

Somebody save your soul
'Cause you've been sinning in this city, I know
Too many troubles
All these lovers got you losing control
You're like a drug to me
A luxury, my sugar and gold
I want your sex and your affection
When they're holdin' you close

And as I dipped Natalie at the end of our jam, Lauren just happened to walk in, and she gave us a curious look as I pulled Natalie back up.

"We're we just dancing" was all I could say even after all these years I still get nervous even though Lauren and Natalie are like sisters.

"I know, it's just cute seeing you nervous" Lauren walked up to me and pinched my cheek then kissed it and took a seat at the counter as Xavier made her a latte. I walked over with Natalie and sat by her.

"Thought you were working?" I asked her and Xavier passed me a cappuccino as well as Lauren's drink.

"I was but I finished early so I thought I would come see you and steal you away till the kids finish school" she told me and faced my way.