45

Tayvon Tatum
Atlanta, Ga| Next Day
4:20 pm

It was a long day, Von and KJ just finished playing a game of basketball. Von skills in basketball was great. KJ never understood why his brother didn't focus on basketball rather then being in streets.

The two boys were drowning in sweat due to the heat in Atlanta during the summer time. The boys wiped the sweat off their forehead with the back of their hands.

"Nigga what made you focus on the streets instead of basketball?" KJ asked looking at his brother with one eye open—due to the beaming sun in his face. That was a question Von asked himself everyday. The choices he made he never really understood why he chose to do it.

"Maybe it's because I like fast money." He answered, sitting on a bench facing his brother.

"I can understand that but you is good at basketball. You really going to throw all that away for the streets. Ain't shit out there but trouble. Coming from your older brother who's been deep into the streets I will know."  KJ ranted.

KJ was right about one thing, the streets were nothing but trouble. They either get you caught up or dead. KJ would hate to see his brother in jail or even worse dealing with the streets.

"I'm a whole target. I don't think I can just easily walk away right now. Shit if I leave now that's just a way of showing them I'm pussy and I'm not."

"Nigga no it's not. It's just showing you got better things in life to do then fuck around and be dead." Von kissed his teeth, slightly irritated that his brother brought this topic up. KJ reminded him every time that his basketball skills were great and that he should leave the streets. Von thought if he wanted to leave it wasn't going to be something to just up and walk away from.

"I honestly don't care how mad you get I just don't want to see my little brother dead." KJ shrugged, not caring how mad or irritated his brother was about him bringing up this topic.

"Can you stop saying that shit. I ain't going to die."

"Tuh you better not." KJ muttered under his breath before getting on his phone. He was reading a message from their mom that was sent 10 minutes ago. "Ma wants us home, she said there's someone there to see us."

Von raised a eyebrow, thinking about who was that somebody waiting to see him. The two both got up and headed to Von's car. Leaving the court, Von backed out the parking lot and left.

"Did she say who it was?" Von interrupted the silence between them. KJ just shook his head. "I asked and she said you'll see when you get here."

Von had a mug on his face the whole ride home. He prayed and hoped it wasn't someone he was less expecting.

Arriving home, a unknown car was parked outside of the house. The car wasn't familiar to neither KJ or Von, so they two both just stared at each other.

"Now who the hell is this?" KJ mumbled more to himself, getting out the car. Von placed his gun in the waist of his pants. He left out the car and entered the house. Conversation can be heard from the living room, his moms giggles led him into the living room while KJ followed behind.

When the two came made it into the living room, their eyes landed on a male back who was turned to them. The man's voice was deep but somehow Von felt his voice was familiar.

"Oh here they are." Kiara pointed at them behind the man who's back was facing them.  The man sharply turned around, and Von swallowed a large lump in his throat. The person who left him for the streets was now in his house, laughing it up with his mom.

"Hey sons." His dad said proudly, but neither of them greeted him back. Von was too angry to even talk to him. Von found it ironic that all them years that passed now he wanted to play the dad role.