Prologue

Being born a Targaryen with a dragon egg that never hatched, was a bold and humiliating reminder of how despite being born a prince, there were numerous things that couldn't be controlled even with that prestigious title.

But being engaged at only two years of age to a child who was only a day old was even more of a reminder of how little control Aemond had over his own life.

Prince Aemond Targaryen was betrothed to Eirlys Velaryon, the supposed only legitimate child of Rhaenyra and Laenor.

Eirlys, her name a complete contrast of what the words of house Targaryen were, the second born child of Rhaenyra Targaryen was infact, the bastard daughter of Harwin Strong. Yet she was blessed with her mother's silver hair that set her apart from her older brother Jacaerys and younger brother Lucerys, who held a close resemblance to their father; again, Harwin Strong.

Rhaenyra had proposed a marriage between one of her sons and Helaena Targaryen, daughter of her father and king, Viserys and wife Alicent. But the queen refused on account of the obvious, that the princes were not her true-born sons.

Yet, Eirlys' appearance gave her an easy pass as Rhaenyra's true-born child, granting her the proposal of being wed to Alicent's second child, Aemond.

The young prince Aemond didn't fully understand the concept of marriage, nor did he ever think about it too much.

Eirlys too, never truly knew the depth of it, she just enjoyed playing with Aemond, their mothers having them spend as much time together as children.

And even as the children grew up together, their relationship and feelings never moved past platonic, for that's all they knew each other to be:

Companions.

Everything between them, their talks, their laughs, their friendship that over time blossomed into something more,

It all came from something so innocent.