Chapter one

"I heard you went into the dragon pits" Eirlys asked, entering Aemond's chamber through the doors that were left wide open.

"Yes, thank you for staying at my side while the others poked their fun at me" Aemond muttered, his words dripping with sarcasm "how comforting it was to see my only friend laughing alongside those fools"

"They were just playing around" the younger girl went to sit on a chair close to his bookshelf "I didn't think you'd take such offence to it"

Earlier that same day, the children had all gathered by the dragon pit to watch Lucerys train alongside his dragon, Arrax. After his lessons, the other boys had all planned a little prank to annoy and remind Aemond of his lack of a dragon.

The boys had initially informed him of a dragon that they had found for him, filling him with a tinge of hope before they gifted him a large pig who had a few feathers and twigs tied around it to act as wings, naming it the pink dread.

"Well let's have them torment you day and night with regards to something you're sensitive about" Aemond responded, slightly annoyed that she wasn't seeing things from his perspective "I wish you'd be able to understand how tiresome it gets after withstanding constant bullying from my brother and those bastards"

"Aemond, watch what you say" Eirlys warned "they are my true born brothers"

"You don't believe that" the prince simply heaved a sigh "even if you do not accept it you know there is truth to what they all say about them"

"That is enough" the princess leaned forward, ready to leave if Aemond continued to question their legitimacy.

"Now you're upset" the boy rolled his eyes "couldn't you have reacted this way earlier at the dragon pit when they were being nasty"

"I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd be this upset" Eirlys stood up to go and join him by the window "I'll talk to my brother about-"

"No" Aemond quickly interrupted "I don't want them to know I was this upset. I won't let them have that satisfaction"

"Oh well, alright then" the girl turned to look at the view from his window, which was the castle gardens "well, since we've got nothing more to do, do you mind helping me with my high valerian"

"Mhm" the boy nodded in response, turning away from her to go and fetch one of his history books, written in high valerian, from the shelves "I'm not as good either, but I suppose I'm better than you"

"I, wha- hey" Eirlys quickly looked away form out the window and toward him, getting rather offended by that comment "now when you put it like that it just makes me want to punch you"

"Is that so?" Aemond smirked as he put down the book on the table by the fireplace "alright, do it"

Eirlys simply blinked in response, hoping for him to make another snide comment instead of obliging to her request.

"Go on" he took a few steps toward her "punch me"

"Oh shove off" the princes rolled her eyes as she grinned, gently pushing past him.

"What's wrong?" Aemond chuckled "is that something you need help with as well?"

"Shut up" the girl tried to fight back a smile.

The two read from the book the prince had picked, with Aemond teaching her how to pronounce most of the words and then quizzing her on what some of those words meant, occasionally asking her to read a few lines on her own and then interpret the meaning.

Eirlys was a slow learner, as opposed to Aemond.

Her pronunciation was exceptional but her ability to retain the information quickly wasn't as great.

Lucky for her, Aemond was a rather patient tutor, most of the time. He took time to explain certain things to her but on few occasions, didn't miss a chance to tease her about something she fumbled with.

"Emagon nyke jiōraton sȳrkta?" (have I gotten better?) She asked.

"Iksā hae iā riña learning zirȳla ēlī udra" (you are like a child learning her first words) Aemond mumbled.

"I don't know what you said exactly" the girl turned to look at him "but I heard the word 'child' so I suppose it's safe to assume it was an insult"

"It was" The prince smugly grinned at her before turning to look at the pages again, looking for a chapter in that particular book which contained more complicated words.

"I think this is enough for today" the girl leaned back in her chair and stretched.

"What, already?" Aemond looked at her "you're lazy"

"You're annoying" the girl jabbed a finger at his side that made him giggle.

"And ticklish?" she simply stated, a menacing smile creeping to her lips.

"You stay away from me" Aemond quickly shut the book as he rose to his feet "remember, I'm the only one who's helping you with- hey, stop-"

Aemond burst into a fit of giggles as Eirlys, despite him asking her to stay away, inched closer to tickle him.

The boy quickly made a run for it, out the door and down the hallway, with Eirlys hot on his heels.

Much to his disadvantage, the girl was a fast runner and caught up to him within a few minutes.

"Okay enough enough" Aemond begged in between his giggles, trying to hold the princess's hands.

"Alright" the girl laughed as she finally stopped, leaning her back against the wall catch her breath.

"It's not fair you can run faster" Aemond complained once his laughter died down.

"Only because you've got short legs" Eirlys teased as she pointed out the slight height difference, emphasising on the fact that she was a bit taller.

"What's the difference between you and a horse then" the boy rolled his eyes as he grinned.

Eirlys glared at him before chuckling sarcastically and pushing herself away from the wall, taking a few steps toward Aemond to antagonise him even more by resuming to ticking him.

"Run" she smiled before the both of them continued their little chase around the castle.