in absentia lucis, tenebrae vincunt*

2013

2013

"Wally, you're worrying over nothing." Lennon brushed off. The couple was having a minor dispute before they were set off to go on a mission. Batman had informed the Team that large amounts of magical energy were being set off in two different places. Breaking them into two large groups, the young witch was assigned to go with Bow, Superboy, Lieutenant Marvel, Nightwing, Garth and Miss Martian, while Wally was grouped with Aqualad, Artemis, Sargent Marvel, Tula, Zatanna and Rocket. Now most of the time the redheaded boy was a bit saddened whenever he and his girlfriend were sent on different missions and he usually got over it but not this time. No this time something in his gut was telling him that something bad was going to happen.

Wally sighed. "Babe, I know you're trying to hide this, but I know this is affecting you."

"Wally that's normal.." The brunette quickly dismissed. "Nabu and Zatanna are feeling the same way as me.."

"Yeah but he's a Lord of Order and Zatanna isn't being sent off to fight Klarion one on one.." Wally rebutted, growing more frustrated that his girlfriend wasn't seeing the problem. "The last few times we've gone against him you've barely managed to go toe to toe with him and that was with Z's help."

Lennon let out a scoff and crossed her arms over her chest. "Gee, thanks for the confidence boost."

"That's not what I meant and you know it."

"Then what are you trying to say Wally because right now you're acting like my dad. It's one thing for you to worry about me but it's another to practically beg Batman to bench me from this mission and since that didn't work out you made a big deal about wanting to join Alpha Squad."

"I just don't want you to end up like Jason!" Wally shouted, causing Lennon to slightly jump and look at him wide-eyed. Wally and Lennon had never gotten into a screaming match with each other, not since the incident where Lennon and Artemis messed up the mission. They had made an agreement not to. During their entire relationship and even before they started dating they were always open and honest with each other especially when something was bothering them. Realizing that he startled his girlfriend, Wally rubbed his face in frustration before taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you, but Len I just.. I just don't want to lose you." He was getting teary eyed. "Ever since Jason's death I have been getting nightmares about losing you and this last time it felt more real than the rest."

"Wally-"

But he shook his head. "Klarion has never hidden the fact of wanting to torture you. Kill you even. You know I believe you're capable of handling things on your own but losing Jason made me see things differently. One of us can go at any moment."

Lennon felt like shit seeing her boyfriend so upset. All he wanted to do was to keep her safe and she was getting defensive. Hell everyone was on edge since the loss of Jason less than two months ago and considering her track record with near death experience of course he would worry about her. Everyone was worried, even her. Something about all of this felt off and she had voiced her concerns to Batman but that was why she was assigned under Alpha Squad. If anyone could figure out what the hell was going on it was her.