Chapter Forty-Five

Bourbon

"Just drink!" I shouted at Salem, threatening to splash water. He glared at me and sipped the drink.

"There, happy?" I shook my head.

"No. Drink it!" I demanded. I wanted him to relax. We were in the hot spring, I was drinking, he refused. He said he couldn't risk losing any cognitive ability. I said it was bullshit. We were here to enjoy ourselves. Nobody even recognized me. Not once have I been bowed to, or called Princess. We were totally free. The hot spring was massive, everyone else was quite a distance away from us.

"This is like drinking straight syrup" he wrinkled his nose at the drink and I raised an eyebrow.

"What do you prefer?" I leaned against the rock wall now, sipping my drink.

"Any straight liquor is better than this sugar water" he smirked at me and I called over one of the waitresses.

"A bourbon please?" I asked politely and she nodded. Salem rolled his eyes.

"You're adamant to get me to drink" he complained and I nodded.

"I've never seen you drink. Never seen you drunk, I want to see. I bet you're funny." He rolled his eyes again.

"I still have a duty here." He grumbled and I nodded.

"Yes, to me. I say drink. I command you to relax!" I shouted, pointing at him.

I had done a good job of keeping my eyes off his body but.. as he jumped out of the water to meet the waitress with his drink I couldn't help it. I choked on my drink as I got a good look at him.

"Is that a tattoo!?" I shrieked, eyes going wide at the sight of his back. I can't believe I didn't notice the last time we all swam together! 

He slid back into the water and nodded. 

"How do you have a tattoo???" I was dumbfounded. Vampire skin wasn't tattooable. They found a way, but it's very expensive and even more so painful. It wasn't even truly permanent.

"My mixed genes" he spoke carelessly and I motioned for him to turn around. It was at the base of his neck. A symbol I didn't recognize.

"What is it?" I asked slowly, reaching up and touching it. I slide my fingertip over it. I don't know why I expected it to feel a certain way. I only ever saw humans with tattoos.

"It's something Lydia and I came up with. She has one too." He turned back around and I withdrew my hand, cheeks heating up slightly.

"That's cool" my eyes widened and I quickly looked away, giggling suddenly as a naked woman walked by us towards the other end of the hot spring.

Salem laughed, shaking his head.

"They warned you this one was optionally nude" he laughed at me as I giggled like a child.

"I didn't think people would accept the offer!" I whispered harshly, glancing as she stepped into the water. Her body immersed was not visible. The water was milky white with flower petals floating on the surface.

"It's good for the body, some say" he continued drinking. He was already halfway done with the bourbon. Surely he must be feeling something with as little as he drinks.

"Is it?" I asked and he shrugged.

"That's what they say" he continued and I shrugged too. The liquid courage kicked in. Before I knew it, I pulled off my complimentary bikini bottoms, tossing them onto the deck followed by my top. Salem choked on his drink, eyes widening.