Chapter Eight

Emma Blair

I sat quietly in front of the mirror, staring myself in the face. I had so much make up on. I hardly recognized the girl looking back at me.
It was the day of the party and I was not ready by any means.

Emma Blair had been a frequent visitor over the past two weeks, bringing scraps of clothing and being very secretive. I was the only one aside from my guard that knew she kept coming. Strangely, every time she was here he disappeared. A different guard standing in his place.

I had done a decent job at avoiding him ever since he slept in my room. When I had awoken the next day he was back to standing outside of my room. I kept him busy with the dumbest tasks I could think of, and making him stand outside of my room and office rather than inside. I wouldn't be able to avoid him tonight.

For a few days every time we ate together he would try and talk to me but I always found an out. I didn't need to get any closer to him. He eventually gave up and held his silence.

I stood up as directed, the maid very carefully handed my dress and left the bathroom.

I unzipped it's cover, letting it slowly drop from my fingers. It was a gorgeous dress. The bottom was red, it was flowy with subtle sequins to give it a special twinkle. At my waist it became red lace, hugging my body tightly. I slid it on carefully and put on my red heels.
I looked myself over at the full length mirror. I truly looked like royalty. The click of my heels echoed in the bathroom as I exited the room, being greeted by gasps of delight.

I did a twirl as Emma demanded, and she squealed.

"You look stunning, my goodness. I thought the dress was beautiful but wow you really complete it" she gushed, her brown hair that fell in ringlets bounced with her excitement.

I smiled at her and nodded, giving her a small hug.

"Thank you so much, I love it" I ran my hands down my sides and she clapped her hands together.

"Okay, where is your guard? Is he finished?" She looked around at the different maids and I shrugged.

"He's probably outside of the room." I muttered as nervousness filled my stomach. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and bit my lip anxiously.

"Could you go get him, please? Id like to do a final look over before everyone goes." She ordered a maid and my eyes narrowed slightly in irritation. They weren't for her to boss around. I brushed it off.

The maids and servants all left my bedroom, Emma sat on my bed with a huff.

"I'm so glad I was chosen to dress you all." She sighed to herself and I nodded. Of course she was, this would do her business good. As if it wasn't already booming.

My guard stepped in quietly and my eyes widened. He was wearing a dark black suit with a red tie that matched the color of my dress. His hair was swept up to the side, still slightly messy as he always wore it but damn he made it look so good.
I held back my gasp and averted my eyes, Emma gasped loudly.

I held back from rolling my eyes.

"Salem?" Her voice came out as a hushed whisper and my head snapped to her in confusion. His eyes stayed glued to me.