Chapter Twenty-One

Contact

I sat in one of the library chairs quietly, glancing at Salem every now and then. He was laying sideways in one of the chairs, his legs dangling off the side with a book in his lap. It had been a few days of silence.. ever since I found out the truth. I couldn't bring myself to ask questions and truth be told I was distancing myself again. Today I would fire him. I'm sure he's taken the hint by now.

I tried to focus on the book I was reading but I couldn't.

"Guard" I cleared my throat. I had to do this. Firing him was necessary.

He flipped the page in his book and kept his eyes on it.

"Oh good you didn't lose the ability to speak...Back to no names?" He muttered quietly and I sighed, shutting my book.

"I am removing you from your position." I spoke firmly and he scoffed, ignoring me.

I blinked a few times as he said nothing. He just blatantly ignored me and continued reading.

"Guard!" I raised my voice a little and he slowly turned his head, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, Princess?" His tone was laced with sarcasm.

"I said I am removing you from your position. Start looking for another job in the castle." I forced the words out and he smiled as he continued reading his book.

"Hey!" I yelled and threw my book at him. Of course he caught it with one hand. He tossed it back to me and shook his head.

"Yeah, sorry, but no." He muttered quietly, amusement in his voice. No!?

"Excuse me?" I growled as he sighed and shut his book, sitting up straight.

"I get it. I actually risked my life for you, you realized that I could very well die for you one day, and that scares you." He spoke slowly and my eyes narrowed.

"You trying to fire me is your way of saying you care about me. Cute, really. I adore it. Are you done?" He tilted his head at me and I glared, trying to think of a response. He was right. That idiot.

"Pardon my interruption Princess." A maid stepped into the room quietly and I shot Salem a look that said 'this isn't over yet'.

She bowed her head politely and held a hand towards the door.

"Prince James from the Westard kingdom is here." She spoke blandly and my eyes widened. I forgot I was supposed to meet him today. Oops.

"Could you have him wait in the foyer, please?" I stood up and dismissed her, going quickly to my room.

Father arranged this. I should've paid better attention.

Salem followed quietly and waited outside my room as I changed.

Nothing too fancy.. just a simple dress. I brushed my hair out and sighed, walking silently past Salem.

I walked very slowly downstairs. I didn't want to meet him. James never left his kingdom. Like..ever. He didn't want to. I had never met him before. He had no interests in being around his people.

I stopped abruptly, turning to Salem.

"You know him?" I crossed my arms and he nodded once.

"And? Is he worth my time?" I raised an expectant eyebrow and his lips twitched into a devious smirk.

"No." He muttered quietly and I growled to myself. It didn't seem like they were ever worth my time.

"I'll be surprised if he doesn't smack at least one of your workers today." He continued on and gave me an amused look.
I stared at the doorway to the foyer with scrutiny, walking into it silently with my head held high.