Chapter Eighty

Say yes to the test

"That is not the one" Grandma Diane grumbled behind me as I stared at myself in the mirror. The wedding dress I tried on this time was apparently not it.. but none of them were if I wasn't marrying Salem. I sighed and turned around, nodding. Alyce and Victoria frowned.

"That's fine, Princess I have plenty more." The seamstress smiled at me reassuringly and I followed her back toward the changing room. I could feel how dull my face was.

Alex and I had been engaged three weeks now. By our standards, that was far too long. We were set to be married next week. The last three weeks had been a blur.. my birthday came and went, grandma Diane arrived a week after we got engaged. She was so excited. Everyone was. The castle was bustling with planning. This was a big event that was being put together in such little time. I sighed again as the seamstress helped me out of the dress and into a new one. Alex's mate would be arriving today. I was able to get clearance papers for her. Luckily, dad didn't know her name or what she looked like. I asked him subtle questions over the last month while I planned for her transfer here.

I was nervous to meet her. I would absolutely hate watching Salem be with someone else, and I imagine I would hate them too. I didn't want her to hate me. I wanted her to know I had no ill intentions with Alex. I wanted us to be friends if possible.. Alex and I had gotten more relaxed and friendly with each other. I was having his mate take Amelia's old position. According to Alex, she's honored to be able to do so.

My mind drifted as the seamstress pulled on the dress I was wearing now. My eyes widened when I looked in the mirror. It was beautiful. It was..almost perfect. It would never be perfect. The only thing that could make it perfect would be Salem at the end of the aisle.. not Alex.

I smiled and nodded, leading the way back into the sitting room. The room lit up with gasps.

"That's it! That's the one!" Grandma cheered, jumping out of her seat. Her excitement would be contagious if the circumstances were different. I looked at myself in the full length mirror and tears gathered in my eyes. I wanted to cry for many reasons. I wanted to cry for my future being married to a man I didn't love, while the one I do love stays behind me. I wanted to cry for the fact my mom wasn't here to see this. The emotions welled up in me and made my stomach turn violently. Gods, don't get sick now daya.

I did a full spin after regaining my composure. Everyone squealed. I wiped my eyes hurriedly, catching Salems gaze. I had been avoiding looking at him this entire time. I couldn't bring myself to. I felt awful that he was in this position.

"Could everyone excuse me a moment?" I forced the words out after everyone's compliments and chattering subsided. My voice came out cracked. Everyone gave me a hug and left the room talking about the wedding. The seamstress bowed and I thanked her quickly. I let out a shaky breath when only Salem was left in the room. He stayed by the door, his hands folded behind his back.

His look softened when our eyes met. He appeared before me, gently grabbing my hand and having me do a twirl despite my protests.

"You're beautiful, Daya. The dress is perfect for you." He spoke softly and I nodded, holding back my tears.

"In another lifetime me seeing you right now is bad luck" he smiled at me lightly and I let out a shaky laugh. Of course he  would try to lighten the mood.

"I want to live in that lifetime" I muttered and he chuckled, shaking his head.

"This is our lifetime right now. We're making the best of it" he pinched my cheek, scolding me. I rolled my eyes and sighed.