Chapter 27

"Alright, come get me kitty."

The tiger leaps, its dark fur blazing.

You prepare yourself. With no weapons, you'll have to do your best to make do.

You blast a shot of heart energy, at the same time jumping to the side.

It hits the tiger with a hiss, sizzling some of the fur around its face, but doing no more than that.

Now that it isn't hiding its presence, the energy that's radiating off of the curse is immense. It feels like a high-grade, not as high as volcano-man, but close. You remember how the energy blazed off the kid's wound. It will take much more than a few shots of your love to tame this kitty.

The curse-tiger pounces again and you dodge once more, grateful for the strength you've gained from death.

Gosh, are you really grateful to the king of curses right now?

No time to think about other curses, your focus must be–

The tiger bares its teeth and strikes.

You duck and roll. It's all you can think to do at the moment.

On your way, you pick up a stick from the ground and infuse it with heart energy. Then you aim and throw it toward the curse.

Unfortunately, death has not improved your aim.

The stick lands a few inches away from the curse-tiger, who flicks it with its tail and sends it flying.

Alright. New plan.

The curse pounces again, you jump, just barely missing its outstretched claws this time. Your heart pounds.

At least your agility is getting better but...

The curse is fast. It's a tiger for crying out loud.

Come on love arsenal, why are you so limited?

You get the idea to try out your domain, but with the way this tiger is moving, there's no way you'll have enough time to focus.

You continue returning its attacks with waves of your heart energy. Although it's futile, it does slow the curse down a bit which buys you some time to think.

The heart, I'm gunning for the heart.

You look to the swirling mass of black energy surrounding the tiger's chest. Inside you can just make out its red core. It's small but clear.

Now you just need to grab onto that.

A close-range fight with a tiger. Great.

As if emphasizing the futility of the situation, the tiger closes the distance between you.

You jump up and reach toward one of the branches in the tree above you, but just as your fingers slip around it its shape changes.

Your fingers pass through, and you land right on the ground in front of the tiger.

Shit, you forgot that this is the tiger's domain. Everything here is under its control.

You see its claw coming toward you.

You try to jump at the last minute but as you are sprinting away it catches you in your calf.

The pain is bright and bursts up your leg.

You go down. Cursed energy sizzling from your wound. Pain drumming in your brain, making it impossible to think.

The tiger flicks its tail almost smugly. Then it wraps its jaw around your ankle and sends you flying across the forest floor.