Chapter 16

You wake up early the next morning. With Gojo away, you have decided that now is the perfect time to try and get some answers.

You look at the necklace. Nanami-san's words echo in your head. Return to the source. That village where you found it was a bit mysterious, maybe someone over there will know something. Returning to the room with the treasure may be tricky, but if luck is on your side you'll find what you're looking for in the village.

You hop out of bed. You think you remember the way, but you'll mostly have to trust your intuition.

You sling a small backpack over your shoulder and throw in your wallet, phone, and the current volume of manga you are reading. At the last minute, you decide to throw in your small reading light, just in case.

With all this stuff packed, you slip out of the dorm room quietly.

Gojo never said anything about having to stay at the school while he was away, but you still feel like you're sneaking out.

You are just closing the door behind you when you are startled by a voice.

"Hey."

You turn around.

Megumi stands behind you in a comfortable tracksuit, which looks less so in the approaching summer heat. His black hair is still wet from the shower, and a towel hangs around his neck which he periodically uses to wipe at his head.

"Oh, hey Fushiguro. You're up early," you say.

"Yeah, I always get up this early." He looks at your backpack. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Oh this..." You look away sheepishly. "Yeah. I just wanted to check out some things in the city." Please don't tell on me.

He sighs. "I'm bored. I'm coming with you."

"What?"

"Wait here a moment."

"Uh–"

Megumi slips into the dorm and returns a few moments later with dried hair and a more weather-appropriate change of clothes.

You blush. He's serious about coming. "You know... you don't have to come with me. I'm not doing anything dangerous."

He smirks. "Then why do you look so suspicious?"

"Eep, erhm. Uhm..." Caught red-handed.

"I don't really care what it is," he says. "Even I need to get out every once in a while. Besides, do you even know your way around?"

"Well..." Good point. It's probably better if he comes along. "Okay fine, but I'm actually not going to the city."

***

On the way to the train station, you give Megumi the rundown of where you're going and why. It's a very brief explanation, you don't tell him about the whole heart business just yet. It would be too much to explain right now, plus you're worried that he might find it creepy.

"I see," he says once you finish your explanation. "So...you found out that you're related to this clan and now you want to connect with them. But I don't get it, why does it matter?"

Leave it to Megumi to hit you with the blunt truth. "It probably doesn't," you say, "But I have this feeling that it'll help me understand some things."

He looks at you as if trying to figure out a math problem. "I see...well, you know we have to take the north train, right?"

You are currently frowning at the south half of the map. When he mentions it, you tear your eyes away and look up to where he is pointing. "Oh right, I totally knew that."